Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk - please fix this! very easy!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tfischer
481 Views, 4 Replies

Autodesk - please fix this! very easy!

I use "Viewpoints" to run my coordination meetings.

I number my folders and viewpoints to keep them oganized. Ex: 1. HVAC, 2. PLUMBING, etc...

everything seems fine until you get to #10, 11, 12, ...

Navisworks does NOT reconize these numbers and when right clicking and using "Sort" will place #10 directly after #1.]

Long story short, it just reconizes the first number and not a double-digit number.. it thinks #19 is before #2 if that makes any sense.

A sequence, when sorted in Navisworks looks like this: 1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18, 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,...

Please correct. It is tedious to go back and move the folders/viewpoints around to get them to appear in the correct order.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dennis
in reply to: tfischer

Just tried this and it seems to do more like you want:

Number 01,02,03 etc rather than just 1,2,3

And I am guessing that if you see that you will have over 100 folders, then you would need to do:

001,002,003 .... 010,011,012....etc

Message 3 of 5
jmenacker
in reply to: dennis

As Dennis suggested, we prefix Viewpoints, Clash Groups, etc., with an appropriate number of leading zeros.  Works fine for us.

Regards,

Joe Menacker

Message 4 of 5
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: jmenacker

i do the same for most things even dates in file / object names

would be nice if they could use the proper alphanumeric listing code instead of the simple analogous digit by digit method...should be pretty simple for the programers to include it

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 5 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

They would need to build their own Sort() method and override the existing one, which is likely the out-of-the-box (framework) one which does a straight alphabetic comparison.  It would need to recognize strings which start with numbers, how many of those characters are numbers, what to do when there are unequal numbers of number prefixes (e.g. 1 vs 009), what to do when there are no numbers, and so on.  Not exactly easy, and will require *some* time (its not a flip of a switch), but not out of the realm of possibility.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report