Did you mean: 

trouble with GetSubentities()

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tcuneio
2300 Views, 4 Replies

trouble with GetSubentities()

I can use GetSubentities to get a SelectedSubObject on a simple 3D object but when I use the same code on a 3D object that is "complex" (created by adding and subtracting other 3D objects) I have some trouble.  I'm checking the SubentityType and it isn't returning a valid Type (edge, vertex, face) but rather Type {5}.  Is there some trick to using GetSubentities() for "complex" solids?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
philippe.leefsma
in reply to: tcuneio

Hi

Could you provide a simple document that contains a sample solid that we can test please? Also be specific about which subentity needs to be selected to reproduce the issue you are describing.

Thank you,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 5
tcuneio
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Here is the code I’m using – sorry for the work in progress.  I want to select edges and faces of 3D solids that will all be rectangular.  When I make a simple box and run the selection for an edge, I get the right result (it’s currently configured just to change the subentity color but I will want to do fillet, etc. as well).  When I return to the same object to run again and try a different edge, I get a PromptStatus error.  Also, if I union two solid3d boxes and try selecting an edge, I get an “eInvalidInput” error when it calls the sobj.SetSubentityColor method.  I commented out the type validation since it also fails.  The type returned is type Class {5} instead of edge.  I’m relatively new to programming so I’m assuming it’s something obvious.  What do you see?  I didn’t attach a drawing since it’s simple 3dSolid “box” objects that I’m testing on.

Public Sub BullnoseEdge(ByVal radius As Double)

Dim pso As New PromptSelectionOptions

pso.MessageForAdding = vbLf & "Select an edge to Bullnose: "

pso.SingleOnly = True

pso.SinglePickInSpace = True

pso.ForceSubSelections = True

Dim psr As PromptSelectionResult = ed.GetSelection(pso)

If psr.Status <> PromptStatus.OK Then

MsgBox("Selection Failed.")

Return

End If

Using trans As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction

Dim pickedSolid As ObjectId

Dim subEntID As SubentityId = GetSubentId(ed, trans, psr.Value, SubentityType.Edge, pickedSolid)

Dim edgeIds As SubentityId() = New SubentityId() {subEntID}

Dim rad As New DoubleCollection(radius)

Dim startSetBack As New DoubleCollection(radius)

Dim endSetBack As New DoubleCollection(radius)

sobj = TryCast(trans.GetObject(pickedSolid, OpenMode.ForWrite), Solid3d)

'sobj.FilletEdges(edgeIds, rad, startSetBack, endSetBack)

Dim colorString As acDefaultColors = acDefaultColors.green

Dim myColor As Color = Color.FromColorIndex(ColorMethod.ByColor, colorString)

sobj.SetSubentityColor(subEntID, myColor)

trans.Commit()

End Using

End Sub

Private Function GetSubentId(ByVal ed As Editor, ByVal trans As Transaction, ByVal ss As SelectionSet, ByVal subType As SubentityType, ByRef pickedId As ObjectId) As SubentityId

Dim retId As New SubentityId

'should only be one object in the array

Dim so As SelectedObject = ss(0)

pickedId = so.ObjectId

'access the selected object

Dim pickedSolid As Solid3d = TryCast(trans.GetObject(so.ObjectId, OpenMode.ForRead), Solid3d)

'get the array of subentities for the solid

Dim sso As SelectedSubObject() = so.GetSubentities()

'confirm the type selected matches the desired type

'Dim selectedType As SubentityType = sso(0).FullSubentityPath.SubentId.Type

'If selectedType = subType Then

'    retId = sso(0).FullSubentityPath.SubentId

'Else

'    ed.WriteMessage(vbLf & "The selected sub entity was of type {0}.  Please select a {1}." & vbLf, selectedType, subType)

'    Exit Function

'End If

retId = sso(0).FullSubentityPath.SubentId

Dim subEntityPath As New FullSubentityPath(New ObjectId() {solid.ObjectId}, retId)

Using ent As Entity = solid.GetSubentity(subEntityPath)

ed.WriteMessage(vbLf & "Subentity Entity Type: " & ent.ToString)

End Using

Return retId

End Function

End Class

Message 4 of 5
philippe.leefsma

Here is some code that works fine on my side, I am testing that one a single box, then two boxes that have been united. Sorry I don't have the VB.Net version ready to send you:

[CommandMethod("EdgesColor")]
public void EdgesColor()
{
    Document doc = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument;
    Database db = doc.Database;
    Editor ed = doc.Editor;

PromptEntityOptions peo = new PromptEntityOptions("\nSelect a 3D solid: ");
    peo.SetRejectMessage("\nInvalid selection...");
    peo.AddAllowedClass(typeof(Solid3d), true);

PromptEntityResult per = ed.GetEntity(peo);

if (per.Status != PromptStatus.OK)
        return;

using (Transaction Tx = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction())
    {
        Solid3d solid = Tx.GetObject(per.ObjectId, OpenMode.ForWrite) 
as Solid3d; ObjectId[] ids = new ObjectId[] { per.ObjectId }; FullSubentityPath path = new FullSubentityPath( ids, new SubentityId(SubentityType.Null, IntPtr.Zero)); List<SubentityId> SubentIds = new List<SubentityId>(); using (Autodesk.AutoCAD.BoundaryRepresentation.Brep brep = new Autodesk.AutoCAD.BoundaryRepresentation.Brep(path)) { foreach (Autodesk.AutoCAD.BoundaryRepresentation.Edge edge in
brep.Edges) { SubentIds.Add(edge.SubentityPath.SubentId); } } short colorIdx = 1; foreach (SubentityId subentId in SubentIds) { Color color = Color.FromColorIndex(
ColorMethod.ByColor,
++colorIdx);
solid.SetSubentityColor(subentId, color); } Tx.Commit(); } }

Here are some blog posts I've been writting as well, they should be useful:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/03/selecting-solid3d-sub-entities.html

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/07/accessing-sub-entities-using-assocperssubentityidpe-in...

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 5
tcuneio

Thanks for the code and the blogs.  I had reviewed those blogs (and others) before writing.  Your code works fine for selecting all the edges, but my problem comes in trying to select a single subentity with PromptSelectionResult forcing subselections.  The GetSubentities method of the SelectedObject doesn't seem to produce a proper result.  I can access a useable result with the simple box but I can't return to that box to select a second edge, nor can I get a good result on any edge from the "complex" solids.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost