Did you mean: 

open dwg file through visual basic

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1504 Views, 4 Replies

open dwg file through visual basic

Hi,

I have created a website in visual basic 2008 and I am hoping to be able to open and read a dwg file through this website. I would like to know if this is possible and if so, how?

Thanks

Usman

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
norman.yuan
in reply to: Anonymous

"Open and read dwg file through this website"? Do you mean doing it on the web server side or on the user side (e.g. in a browser the user uses to browse the website)?

For the latter, the answer is no. No browser can directly render a *.dwg file downloaded from a web server. If the dwg file has been converted to *.dwf format, then with installing *.dwf add-in to the browser, user can browse *.dwf files.

For the former, technically, yes; practically, depends, assume "open" means just read/update data in dwg file, but not visually showing it (no point to show the drawing visually on the web server, right?). You need some software/application that can read dwg file. Theoretically, only Autodesk's products can do that: AutoCAD or RealDwg SDK. Running complicated desktop app AutoCAD on the web server is not technically sound, not do mention the possible license violation. RealDwg is ideal to deal with dwg file without the need of installing AutoCAD, but the license fee is prohibitive unless the development is a big enough development. OpenDwg may be an alternative, but a bit controversial (if the drawing file is modified by OpenDwg, when open it in AutoCAD, AutoCAD would warn you the dwg is not trusted...)

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
arcticad

http://freewheel.autodesk.com/

---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: norman.yuan

I mean doing it on the web server side.

What I want to do is allow a user to upload a .dwg file to a website which is on a web server. The .dwg file is then read and the information saved into a SQL database. What do you think is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
patmang

REALDWG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost