Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't install wizard

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
russ.green
1521 Views, 7 Replies

can't install wizard

I have VS2008 pro on windows7 and I can't install the dotnet wizards.

I get an error message box with the title of Microsoft Visual Studio and the message saying "The operation could not be completed".

2011 .NET Wizards in is my list of installed programs but the folder is never created in program files and templates are not available in VS.

Any ideas?

Russ Green
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeffrey_H
in reply to: russ.green

I had to turn off my anti-virus and set User Account Control to never Notify then restart computer then it would install.

This worked for the 2010 and 2011 wizards on windows 7 32bit 

It only only worked for the 2010 wizard on windows 7 64bit

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 3 of 8
CADbloke
in reply to: Jeffrey_H

I couldn't install it either. After much frustration I found it was "blocked" in much the same way that CHM files are blocked when you copy them from another computer. To unblock it, right click - Properties - down at the bottom there is an "unblock" button. After I unblocked it the installation went fine. I hope this helps

- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com
Message 4 of 8
Jeffrey_H
in reply to: CADbloke

I had turn off Anti-Virus and User Control and do what ewen posted to get it to work.

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 5 of 8
CADbloke
in reply to: Jeffrey_H

Just to add to the confusion (both mine and yours) I changed my ID. CADbloke == ewen.

It may pay to do a little bit of homework on these wizards, rather than implicitly relying on them. This post by the inimitable Tony Tanzillo raises a good point ... http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/2010-dotNET-Wizards/m-p/2599943#M16967

If you really want to add confusion, build it for multiple versions on 32 & 64 bit platforms from the same codebase. No, I don't have a definitive answer for that. yet.

- - - - - - -
Message 6 of 8
mohnston
in reply to: russ.green

An alternative to turning off UAC, which  requires a reboot, is to right-click the install file and select Run as Administrator.

Or you could launch a command prompt window as administrator and launch from there.

Funny, even if you have administrator privileges you still need to do this for many functions. For example registering a dll or ocx.

CAD Programming Solutions
Message 7 of 8
CADbloke
in reply to: mohnston

I *never* turn off UAC - I feel the advantages far outweigh the ocassional PITA like this one. The wizards installed just fine for me but only after "unblock"ing it (see message 3) in Win 7 x64. I didn't have to change the rights or compatibility either but I run as an admin user (yes, tsk tsk).

This all depends on what kind of user rights you are running under. If you're not running as Admin then yes, you should right-click and run as Admin.

- - - - - - -
Message 8 of 8

Same error with windows 7 64 bit.  Run as admin was grey.  http://www.sourcecodestore.com/Article.aspx?ID=10

Fixed it.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost