Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the debugging process slow

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JeffatSJE
552 Views, 2 Replies

Why is the debugging process slow

Converting my apps from .NET 35 to .NET 40 was not too painful except for the debugging speed! Why is AutoCAD 2013 so slow....

Should I be building my apps on a 32bit box and then do the final build on a 64bit box?

Thanks

J.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: JeffatSJE

Hi,

>> Why is AutoCAD 2013 so slow....

imho it's not 2013 that makes debugging slow, I think it's Framework4 that's slower (as more functional) than 3.5 was.

But I have not done debugging-speeding comparision tests 😉

>> Should I be building my apps on a 32bit box

I do so (using VmWare), because of the "edit-while-debug" availability for 32bit. That gives more efficiency during coding.

VS does not allow that with 64bit code (and also does it not with the next release afaik).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3
Otto_Cad
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Just for reference to anybody who needs it, I had a similar experience.

When debugging my .Net code and executing a instruction [Database].ReadDwgFile() to load a 800Kb file, I had to wait 1 minute 30 seconds (!!!) for it to finish loading. Note: only when debugging; in release mode, loading is fast, less than 1 second. The file loaded was simple, with just some lines, curves, blocks and presentations.

Finally I did a test: Using Autocad Desing Center, I copied all elements from original file to a new one, getting a virtually identical file. However there was no delay when debugging it!

So the possible cause seems corruption, perhaps result from a buggy copy/paste operation inside Autocad.(see for example here)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost