.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way of getting all objects between two points.

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
e1028439
1649 Views, 15 Replies

Way of getting all objects between two points.

Hey all.

Is there any way of getting ALL objects a Line/ray intersects with?

I am thinking of something like:

*Pseudocode*

Ray ray = new Ray();
ray.To = dest;
ray.From = start;
ray.Fire(); var obj = ray.GetFirstHitObject(); /* or null if nothing */ // continue here //

I don't even need the object, a simple true if it hits something, or false if not is enough for me.

Greetings from Austria,

Thomas

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

The Entity class has an IntersectWith() method that tells if the entity  intersects another Entity.

Message 3 of 16
hgasty1001
in reply to: e1028439

Hi,

If you are trying to select the objects intersected, you can use Editor.SelectFence(fencePoints, SomeFilter). If you need the intersection points, then use both fence selection to obtain the objects  and TT suggestion of IntersectWith to get the points.

Regards,

Gaston Nunez

Message 4 of 16

@DiningPhilosopher wrote:

The Entity class has an IntersectWith() method that tells if the entity  intersects another Entity.

Thank you, but that was not the question.

Message 5 of 16

@e1028439 wrote:

It wasn't the question, it was one answer to how to do what the question asked.

You can also try Gaston's suggestion, assuming all the candidate objects are visible in the current view.

Message 6 of 16

@e1028439 wrote:

@DiningPhilosopher wrote:

Ok! You have to iterate ALL entities in current space (ModelSpace or PaperSpace) and find intersection of entities and yours line/ray. Method with Editor.SelectFence has so many restrictions...

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 7 of 16

@Alexander.Rivilis wrote:

Ok! You have to iterate ALL entities in current space (ModelSpace or PaperSpace) and find intersection of entities and yours line/ray. Method with Editor.SelectFence has so many restrictions...

Could you enlighten me about the restrictions of SelectFence()? the only thing i need is to know IF there is something in the way, neither what, nor how big it is.

And if i would give SelectFence a Point modell of a cube for example, would it get all objects that intersect with it?

Thanks again for all the answers 🙂

Message 8 of 16

e1028439 wrote:
And if i would give SelectFence a Point modell of a cube for example, would it get all objects that intersect with it?

No. Editor.SelectFence allow to select entities:
1. Visible on active view.

2. Projection of those on active view has intersection with "fence".

3. If entity has not continuous linetype - it will be problem. 

4. Zoom factor of current view also affect selection.

5. Allow select entities but not found intersection points - only fact of intersection.

6. Dependent of entities type.

7. Points have to be in UCS (not in WCS)

8. etc.,etc.,etc...

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.

Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Expert Elite Member

Message 9 of 16
RPeter
in reply to: e1028439

I think you need to create a "Virtual Line" (named vl in my code) and do a window selection based on youre 2 points.

The code beneath is not tested but I think it should look like this:

Private Sub MyIntersection()
        Dim doc As Document = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
        Dim ed As Editor = doc.Editor
        Dim db As Database = doc.Database

Dim p3dc As Point3dCollection = Nothing

Dim ppo As New PromptPointOptions(vbCrLf & "Select point: ")
        ppo.AllowNone = False
        Dim pt1 As Point3d = ed.GetPoint(ppo).Value
        Dim pt2 As Point3d = ed.GetPoint(ppo).Value
        Dim psr As PromptSelectionResult = ed.SelectWindow(pt1, pt2)
        Dim vl As New Line(pt1, pt2)
        Dim oic As New ObjectIdCollection
        If psr.Status = PromptStatus.OK Then
            Using dl As DocumentLock = doc.LockDocument
                Using tr As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                    For Each so As SelectedObject In psr.Value
                        p3dc = Nothing
                        Dim ent As Entity = TryCast(tr.GetObject(so.ObjectId, OpenMode.ForRead), Entity)
                        Try
                            vl.IntersectWith(ent, Intersect.ExtendBoth, p3dc, 0, 0)
                            If p3dc.Count > 0 Then
                                oic.Add(ent.ObjectId)
                            End If
                        Catch
                        End Try
                    Next
                End Using
                'Now youre intersecting objects are in the oic (objectIdCollection)
            End Using
        End If
    End Sub

Regards

Peter

Message 10 of 16
e1028439
in reply to: RPeter

@RPeter wrote:

I think you need to create a "Virtual Line" (named vl in my code) and do a window selection based on youre 2 points.

Regards

Peter

Dear Peter, i modified your code a little bit to use Editor.SelectCrossingWindow, and now it throws a eNotImplementedYet exeption on the following line >vl.IntersectWith()<.

I needed to change to SelectCrossingWindow because i need all objects i hit, not only the ones i completely surround.

Greetings

Thomas

Message 11 of 16

@e1028439 wrote:
Dear Peter, i modified your code a little bit to use Editor.SelectCrossingWindow, and now it throws a eNotImplementedYet exeption on the following line >vl.IntersectWith()<.

What kind of entity (name of class) was intersected?

I also recommend to use Intersect.OnBothOperands instead of Intersect.ExtendBoth because many kind of entities can not be extended.

Expert Elite Member

Message 12 of 16

it was an InfiniteLine, and i tried all 4 of the possible intersect enum types, all throw the same eNotImplementedYet exception

Message 13 of 16

The code you're trying to use doesn't work as posted because it passes null to IntersectWith() in the argument that requires a Point3dCollection.

That may be what is causing the exception.  Create a new Point3dCollection and call it's Clear() method just before each call to IntersectWith().

Message 14 of 16

@e1028439 wrote:

it was an InfiniteLine, and i tried all 4 of the possible intersect enum types, all throw the same eNotImplementedYet exception

The base AutoCAD product API has no class called "InfiniteLine".

The XLine is an infinite line, so perhaps that's what you meant?

Message 15 of 16

var doc = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument;
            var ed = doc.Editor;
            var db = doc.Database;
            var ppo = new PromptPointOptions("\nSelect point: ") { AllowNone = false };
            var pt1 = ed.GetPoint(ppo).Value;
            var pt2 = ed.GetPoint(ppo).Value;
            var psr = ed.SelectCrossingWindow(pt1, pt2);
            var vl = new Line(pt1, pt2);
            var oic = new ObjectIdCollection();
            if (psr.Status != PromptStatus.OK)
                return;
            using (var dl = doc.LockDocument())
                using (var tr = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction())
                {
                    Point3dCollection p3dc;
                    foreach (SelectedObject so in psr.Value)
                    {
                        p3dc = new Point3dCollection();
                        var ent = tr.GetObject(so.ObjectId, OpenMode.ForRead) as Entity;
                        try
                        {
                            vl.IntersectWith(ent, Intersect.OnBothOperands, p3dc, new IntPtr(), new IntPtr());
                            if (ent != null && p3dc.Count > 0)
                                oic.Add(ent.ObjectId);
                        }
                        catch (Exception) { }
                    }
                }
            ed.WriteMessage("\n" + oic.Count);

thats the code i am currently trying with, and the exception occurs at vl.IntersectWith();

Exception details:

Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.Exception: eNotImplementedYet

at Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Entity.IntersectWith(Entity entityPointer, Intersect intersectType, Point3dCollection points, IntPtr thisGraphicSystemMarker, IntPtr otherGraphicSystemMarker)

at AcadPlugin.MyCommands.MyIntersection() in e:\DEV\AcadPlugin1.0\AcadPlugin1.0\Commands.cs:Zeile 154.}	System.Exception {Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.Exception}

ent = {Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Solid3d}
so = [Autodesk.AutoCAD.EditorInput.CrossingOrWindowSelectedObject] = {
(((8754286416000),Crossing,6,)
(InfiniteLine,(30825.1342620582,30781.8322475576,4200.53349038419),(-0.577350269189626,-0.577350269189626,-0.577350269189626))
(InfiniteLine,(30315.8322765267,31291.1342330891,4200.53349038419),(-0.577350269189626,-0.5773502691...

Hope this helps.

Message 16 of 16

Autodesk hasn't added support for finding intersections with 3D Solid objects and surfaces.

To do that, you will need to use the BoundaryRepresentation API, and is far more complicated than what has been described thus far.

AutoCAD is 3D CADD mainly in terms of its ability to create 3D objects, but is severely crippled in terms of 3D API functionality, and to a lesser-extent, 3D editing and analytical  functionality. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost