Did you mean: 

Visual Studio Edit and Continue not working anymore

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
jacobwilliamscad
5133 Views, 24 Replies

Visual Studio Edit and Continue not working anymore

I'm new, hoping you can help. I develop AutoCAD using .NET, I use the Edit and Continue feature in Visual Studio 2008 while debugging and testing what I wrote. I recently got a new machine and now my Edit and Continue doesn't seem to work anymore. Any ideas why not? 

Jake

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Hi,

Bad news: There is no Edit & Continue in VS on 64 bit period, see this Edit+Continue

Gaston Nunez

Message 3 of 25
quigs
in reply to: jacobwilliamscad

I had this problem for months and months on my 64 bt machines.  A lot of people say you can use edit and continue on 64 bit but I'm not convinced.  Switch back to 32 bit and problem solved.

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 4 of 25
jacobwilliamscad
in reply to: quigs

Thanks for the help. It definitely doesn't work, I've been trying for days. I can't go back to 32bit, the money I paid for my new computer would be a total waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any other people had this problem and have it solved?

Message 5 of 25
quigs
in reply to: jacobwilliamscad

I feel your pain.  When I upgraded our office equipment we got 64 bit everything.  i spent weeks installing Win 7; 64 but. + All related software, then BANG.  No edit and continue.  It destroyed our workflow in the office.  We tried every single option from every blog known to man for a full week.   Then we tried to accept the fact that it was gone.  In the end I had to spend another 2 weeks re-installing 32 bit and all software's.

What do you actually lose going back to 32 bit:  Your ram if it's above 4gb is null.  But you gain Edit & continue and the ability to step through code and hit break points.  I don't know about anybody else but I couldn't do my job without this feature.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I bet you end up switching back.

Good luck :D.

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 6 of 25
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> but I bet you end up switching back

Or use VmWare or any other type of virtual pc with a 32bit Windows. So you can develop in that mode (having then edit&continue enabled) and you can test (and work) in 64bit mode on your master Windows. 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 25
quigs
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That''s a good idea.  Is there any speed loss?

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 8 of 25
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Is there any speed loss?

I would not work on AutoCAD (using 3D or big drawings) as the display is not that fast within the VmWare emulation.

But for developement ... I guess you won't fill the keyboard-buffer more fast than VmWare can catch it 😉

Sometimes, if you do some optimization you can work within a virtual pc faster than on your host system, because you only install what you need for development, so no apps, no office, no antivirus-software, no firewall (depending on allowing the VmWare to connect to internet or not) and so on.

E.g. my Win7x64 on the host-system (including database server) needs about 2GB to have the os loaded. My VmWare os needs just 300MB 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 25
quigs
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the information.

Very much appreciated.

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 10 of 25
hgasty1001

Hi,

An expensive alternative is to work in a 32 bit Windows Server OS (I'm stuck in 2008 Server R1), but it's not supported, and 2014 refused to install in it, but 2008 Server has no 4GB memory limitation so it's a better platform for up to AutoCAD 2013.

Gaston Nunez

Message 11 of 25
fenton.webb
in reply to: hgasty1001

Sorry - Edit and Continue definitely does not work debugging 64bit applications on 64bit Windows. This is a general issue with Visual studio, that is not related to AutoCAD itself.

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 12 of 25

Thanks.

What about running 32bit AutoCAD on 64bit Windows, is it possible? Has anyone tried?

Message 13 of 25

It's totally possible to make AutoCAD 32bit run in Windows 64bit, but we don't support it. Technically speaking I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as normal - yes, it would certainly solve your edit and continue issue in the debugger. As I have said before, if it solves an issue for you, then go for it.

FYI - We don't support 32bit AutoCAD on 64bit Windows because their is a huge effort testing each platform configuration. Because we already have a 64bit version of AutoCAD that runs on 64bit Windows it doesn't make business sense for us to test and QA a scenario that is most likely < 0.01% of our business.

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 14 of 25
quigs
in reply to: fenton.webb

I'm glad that's been said out-loud as there were a few missleading posts that implied that is was possible.

Ta.

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 15 of 25
fenton.webb

Which posts?

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 16 of 25
quigs

I don't know if i got the wrong end of the stick when reading them but it implied I thought that hitting breakpoints on a 64 bit machine was possible.  It was over a year ago.  I can't find them right now but can have a search later if needs be?

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 17 of 25
fenton.webb

Actually, not hitting break points is different topic to this one, but i will say that it's similar in a way because it also occurs while debugging AutoCAD 64bit. The problem is that AutoCAD uses a stack swapping technology called 'Fibers' (Fibers are a deprecated technology from Microsoft which we are working on removing) and fibers do not work well with .NET, and in turn mess up Visual Studio break points on 64bit.

The quickest solution is to set NEXTFIBERWORLD=1, however, the downside with that setting is that multiple document commands will stop working, as will posting commands from the Ribbon.

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 18 of 25
quigs

Is someone from Microsoft watching?  I got this e-mail litteraly 5 mins ago:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/2013-downloads

Edit and continue now available for 64 bit. :d.

My name is Martin.. 😄
Message 19 of 25
dgorsman

@fenton.webb wrote:

(Fibers are a deprecated technology from Microsoft which we are working on removing)

Yay!  😄

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 20 of 25
jacobwilliamscad
in reply to: dgorsman

Many tx for all the information.

Sorry but I didn't read anything that I wanted to run with, however, further investigation using some of the keywords on this thread unearthed a 'longbow' solution which has now solved my problem. I am now running 32bit 2010, 2013 and 2014 on my 64bit machine (no 64bit versions of AutoCAD at all), with Edit and Continue working fine, and I'm back up and working as before. 

tx all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost