.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to debug with Visual Studio 2010?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
paszt
1810 Views, 8 Replies

Possible to debug with Visual Studio 2010?

Is it possible to debug an assembly created with Visual Studio 2010?
I am using AutoCAD 2010.
Currently the assembly will load via Netload and the code will execute, but will not stop at breakpoints. The breakpoints are hollow circles with the exclaimation mark in the yellow triangle with the tooltip "This breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: paszt

Hello Paszt,
Probably a stupid question but are you running a debug compiled dll or a
release version?

> No symbols have been loaded for this document
>
Message 3 of 9
paszt

Thanks for the response. Yes, I think it's a debug compiled dll.
In the project properties, on both the Compile & Debug tabs, Configuration is set to 'Active (Debug)'.
In the Configuration Manager, the project (there's only one) has configuration set to 'Debug'.
The Advanced Compiler Settings (after clicking Advanced Compiler Options button on Compile tab) has no optimizations checked, Define DEBUG constant is checked, Define TRACE constant is checked.

Is there anything else to verify? Sorry if this is too much information, thought it couldn't hurt to include it.

One thing I forgot to mention previously is that it was working (I'm pretty sure) and stopped after AutoCAD crashed due to an unhandled exception.
Message 4 of 9
bjhuffine

I haven't had a chance to continue looking, but I've had the same thing happen to me as well. And I've never had that happen with VS 2005/2008. In this case, I've got everything set up as I have many, many times before, everything was running fine and I could even break in debug mode. Then I got an error after which this all ended. I have noticed though that the date/time for the debug files is offset from when I'm running it. So when trying to run in debug mode, something is preventing it from building which sounds like a VS 2010 issue. If anyone has any ideas, I'm sure there may be more of us wondering what is going on here.
Message 5 of 9
chiefbraincloud

What about 'Generate Debug Info' ? on the Advanced Compile Options page. Mine is on Full. I never tried PDB Only, so I don't know if that works or not. (I'm not actually on VS 2010, but I know setting this to None would prevent debugging in 05/08). I'm pretty sure the 'Symbols' referred to in your tooltip message are stored in this Debug Info file.
Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 6 of 9
Patrick.Martindale

I can't remember where I found this but it was a great help to me for starting and debugging. You most likely won't need all the info on starting out but there is a portion in the last half that talks about how to set up an app to be debugged similar to how it is done in vba. This is centered around Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition so it may or may not apply in your particular situation.

What I thought might help was the part about the setting and the modification of the .dll file. I tried this and it worked wonderfully. exactly what I think you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
Message 7 of 9
paszt

Thanks for the response Patrick. However, you seemed to miss the core of my problem. I am able to debug using Visual Studio .NET 2008 with no problem. My problem is with Visual Studio 2010 (currently VS2010 is only offered as Release Candidate, there are no Express versions yet). I am not able to debug with Visual Studio 2010 RC with the exact same setup I used for VS2008. This leads me to believe that VS2010 is not capable of debugging assemblies using the AutoCad application.

So my question still stands: Is it possible to debug an assembly created with Visual Studio 2010?

Please let me know if you have had success with VS2010.

Thanks.
Message 8 of 9
NatCad74

Same here looks like its 2010 using 2008 just to debug.
Message 9 of 9
andrea1040

Hi,
I had the same problem with visual studio 2010.

You can look at this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/22d4c3d3-bf77-40ed-8b1b-64223019f3f1.

Modify the acad.exe.config
Uncomment the line

//"

The correct version will be the most recent v2.0.xxxxx folder in the "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework" directory

Now I can debug from vs 2010, but I am not able to debug if I first start autocad and then Attach to proccess.

Hope it helps.

Edited by: andrea1040 on May 12, 2010 11:47 AM Edited by: andrea1040 on May 12, 2010 11:48 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost