Did you mean: 

New User Question VB vs .NET

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
martinduke2653
215 Views, 1 Reply

New User Question VB vs .NET

Hello All,

This may seem like a trivial question to most of you but it is a topic that is vexing me considerably. I have a fairly large application which is written in VB 6. The application is split across several .dll files and a .exe. one of the dll files is responsible for the drawing side of the application. because it is using VB it communicates rather slowly with AutoCAD, so slow in fact that the speed factor threatens the usability of the software. To put it in perspective sometimes it will have to draw 100000+ entities, and the time taken can be over half an hour.

If I port the application over to VB .NET will I get the same sort of performance that you get with ARX, and if I use .NET will I have at my disposal some of the features that are not available in VB such as cursor tracking (grread). any comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Martin Duke
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: martinduke2653

You can improve the performance of any code, regardless of what
language it's developed with, by making it a DLL that is loaded into
AutoCAD's process space.

With .NET applications that use the managed ObjectARX API, you
don't have a choice, it must be a DLL that's loaded with NETLOAD.

With VB you can still get the performance gain by loading your
DLL into AutoCAD using the GetInterfaceObject() method of the
AcadApplication class.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006/2007
http://www.acadxtabs.com

wrote in message news:5140108@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello All,

This may seem like a trivial question to most of you but it is a topic that is vexing me considerably. I have a fairly large application which is written in VB 6. The application is split across several .dll files and a .exe. one of the dll files is responsible for the drawing side of the application. because it is using VB it communicates rather slowly with AutoCAD, so slow in fact that the speed factor threatens the usability of the software. To put it in perspective sometimes it will have to draw 100000+ entities, and the time taken can be over half an hour.

If I port the application over to VB .NET will I get the same sort of performance that you get with ARX, and if I use .NET will I have at my disposal some of the features that are not available in VB such as cursor tracking (grread). any comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Martin Duke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost