Did you mean: 

Nested Groups

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
sanjaymann
1197 Views, 11 Replies

Nested Groups

Hi,

I am able to create groups in autocad 2013 using .net but unable to create nested groups. Can someone help me on this. I am talking about nested groups not nested group layers. 

Thanks & Regards

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
artc2
in reply to: sanjaymann

Groups don't support nesting.

Perhaps if you can explain what it is that you are trying to accomplish with nested groups, folks here will have other ideas about how you could do what you need.

Message 3 of 12
sanjaymann
in reply to: artc2

No Groups support nesting

Take a look:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a91938...

THe below line in the doc says so:

The objects in your drawing can be members of more than one group, and groups themselves can be nested in other groups

Message 4 of 12
dgorsman

Not the best description, but is somewhat accurate; its not what most would call "nesting" though.  Entities can be members of multiple groups, and objects which are a member of one group can be members of another group which includes more entities.  But groups themselves cannot be members of other groups.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 12
artc2
in reply to: dgorsman

Exactly.

I'll see that the docs get corrected.

Message 6 of 12
sanjaymann

My goal was to create Hierarchy. I wanted nested groups so that When I open the dwg file in navisworks I could get a tree structure like:

GreatGrandFather

-GrandFather

-Father

-child

- geometry

I was hoping to do that with nested groups. Can you please explain other ways in which I can create the Hierarchy and display the same in navisworks.

Thanks & Regards

Message 7 of 12
artc2

How about BlockTableRecords and BlockReferences?  The geometry would be in a BlockTableRecord named child which would then be referenced by a BlockReference which would be in a BlockTableRecord named Father which woudl then be referenced by another BlockReference which woudl be in a BlockTableRecord named GrandFather which would be referenced by a BlockReference in a BlockTableRecord named GreatGrandFather which would be referenced by a BlockReference in ModelSpace or one of layout paper space BlockTableRecords so that it displays on screen.

Message 8 of 12
sanjaymann

Sounds like an idea. Can you please help me with a sample dwg depicting the same.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Message 10 of 12
sanjaymann
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried using nested blocks but the output as you see is as follows. The entries are repeating itself. if some how the forum can help me in removing repeated entries I think I will be near to the task. 

ts.png

Message 11 of 12
fieldguy

Can you show the code you use to populate the treeview?

Message 12 of 12
sanjaymann

Its not about the code. simply i created the nested entry saved the dwg and opened the dwg in navisworks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost