Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Development in Mixed AC Environment

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
btillman
297 Views, 1 Reply

.NET Development in Mixed AC Environment

This question has probably been asked and answered but I need a definitive answer on a few points about devleoping .NET software in a mixed environment.

We have mostly 2009 users in this dept but enough 2005 users to make the situation sticky. A new detailer has been hired and we gave her the last license for 2009, which is where I have been doing most of my development. There is a 2013 license available for me and I will of course use it. But the questions become:

1. Can I load the references like AutoCAD Type Library 2013 and develop programs which will run both as stand-alone and inside ACAD apps which will be compatible with the three different versions we have in this place?

2. Would it be possible to copy the 2009 .dll files needed for most apps (acdbmgr.dll....etc) to a folder on the server which I can use to load them into programs developed on the AC 2013 computer and the ending .exe files will be compatible with 2009 users?

Any suggestions on how to best approac this would be appreciated. We are extremely busy and the .NET advancements we've made are improving things. But to ask the board for $40K to update everyone to the same version is not practical or prudent for the moment.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

1. Can I load the references like AutoCAD Type Library 2013 and develop programs which will run both as stand-alone and inside ACAD apps which will be compatible with the three different versions we have in this place?

Unfortunately no. AutoCAD Type Library references are COM/ActiveX references and change between major releases, in this case will be one reference for 2007/8/9, another for 2010/11/12, and a new one for 2013. This references are, as you know, available for development inside (in-process) or outsite (out-of-process). One alternative is develop with late binding, which means do not use acad**** types, only object types, but in this case the auto-complete feature will not be available.

2. Would it be possible to copy the 2009 .dll files needed for most apps (acdbmgr.dll....etc) to a folder on the server which I can use to load them into programs developed on the AC 2013 computer and the ending .exe files will be compatible with 2009 users?

If you develop using AcMgd and/or AcDbMgd, then your plug-in will only work inside AutoCAD (in-process). The alternative is expose to COM as suggested at http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/05/interfacing-an-external-com-a... . Anyway, if you use these DLLs you application will be compatible between 2007-2012, but you need to compile again for 2013. Actually you don't need to copy, just use them from the ObjectARX (www.objectarx.com) package, but you still need AutoCAD installed to test.

Hope that help you understand the scenario.

Regards,

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost