Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Localizing the ribbon

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ebts
308 Views, 1 Reply

Localizing the ribbon

I'm adding a ribbon tab for our application. To take full advantage of the ribbon's features, I want to use text, but it will need to be localized to a specific language. I was wondering what the best method would be to do this.

Some options I can think of:
a. Create a different partial CUIX file for each language and load the appropriate one.
b. Create the ribbon programmatically at run time, using a language specific resource dll with a string table.

Anyone know what the accepted practice is for this? Is there a better option?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: ebts

Store the localized strings for multiple locales in an Excel worksheet, using the column containing the English language strings as
the key column, and additional columns containing the localized strings for each language, one column for each locale.

Then write an XML process that takes the English language CUI file (processing it as an XML file) and the Excel Worksheet, and from
that, generate localized CUI files.

That would be the easiest way to generate and maintain locale-specific CUI files, and would only require you or the translator to
enter data into an Excel worksheet, which is far less error prone than manually editing many CUI files or (gasp) using AutoCAD's CUI
dialog.

Whether it's better/easier to implement a ribbon UI in code or not depends on a few things, like do you want to allow the user to
customize your UI (e.g., place standard AutoCAD ribbon controls wherever they want), and/or whether you need custom control
functionality that the CUI doesn't support. If the latter isn't required, I would probably take the CUI route, merely because a UI
should support basic customization wherever possible.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2010

http://www.acadxtabs.com

Email: string.Format("{0}@{1}.com", "tonyt", "caddzone");

wrote in message news:6310278@discussion.autodesk.com...
I'm adding a ribbon tab for our application. To take full advantage of the ribbon's features, I want to use text, but it will need
to be localized to a specific language. I was wondering what the best method would be to do this.

Some options I can think of:
a. Create a different partial CUIX file for each language and load the appropriate one.
b. Create the ribbon programmatically at run time, using a language specific resource dll with a string table.

Anyone know what the accepted practice is for this? Is there a better option?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost