.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to access AEC object (AEC_WALL etc.) properties from RealDWG?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ashutoshkumar
851 Views, 2 Replies

Is there a way to access AEC object (AEC_WALL etc.) properties from RealDWG?

Is there a way to access AEC object (AEC_WALL etc.) properties from RealDWG? I am able to get the class name AecDbWall. And even the extents of the entity.There are some Aec*.dll files in the RealDWG folder but I am not sure what to use to  get the properties of Wall,window.I'm using visual C++. I have installed the object enablers of Architecture Structure Drawing, MEP, and also of Civil.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Here is the feedback from my colleague Jeremy on that question:

You may be able to use the AutoCAD Architecture C++ API named OMF for this, if you really have to. It is similar to ObjectARX for AutoCAD.

OMF itself does include both C++ and .NET APIs, but for the RealDWG scenario, probably only the C++ portion can ever possibly work.

The .NET wrapper modules are not included at all in RealDWG, and this case is not supported.

Furthermore, one of my more experienced colleagues recommends trying to avoid this completely, if you can.

He says that even using the C++ OMF with the object enabler modules is not officially supported with RealDWG. Although it should theoretically be possible from a technical point of view, and some developers reported using it, it was a huge hassle to get any fixing done whenever something broke.

Therefore, the recommendation is to stay away from it and try to get what you need through straight RealDWG APIs if at all possible.

Since a lot of the information stored by AutoCAD Architecture is actually just placed in normal ObjectARX dictionaries, you can often access all you need using just pure ObjectARX.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy Tammik

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 3
tbrammer
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Is this statement still valid for RealDWG 2016?

I need especially AecStreamSlice and AecStreamExplode.

Let's say I write a DBX "MyAecStuff.dbx" using OMF 2016 that implements the exported functions mySlice() and myExplode() which use these classes. Can my RealDWG host application load MyAecStuff.dbx and call these functions?

Thomas Brammer ● Software Developer ● imos AGLinkedIn
If an answer solves your problem please [ACCEPT SOLUTION]. Otherwise explain why not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost