what I found was while this solved the fatal error it stopped copying the pagesetups.
So I did some troubleshooting and realized the the curps.dispose was the issue with it not copying the pagesetup
however I also discovered that if I removed the exit for and/or the curps.dispose I would get the fatal error again.
so in order for my code to work and copy the pagesetups without giving me the fatal error I had to stop/unload the curps without using curps.dispose and exit for.
so a long story somewhat short I did this:
using curps as plotsettings = new plotsettings(false)
This allowed me to copy the pagesetups as I wanted and not get a fatal error in the resulting code I removed all exit for's. What I learned from this is that you have to make sure that everything gets unloaded even the littlest thing still hanging out there can cause an error.