475 Views, 5 Replies

Error Trapping

In VB6 I used to use

On Error GoTo My_Error
'Code
   On Error GoTo 0
   Exit Sub
My_Error:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") on line " & Erl & " in procedure MyProcedure of Module MyModule"

By using this in VB.net it the error is skipped and it jumps to the error routine. Easily added using MZ tools.

The same code doesn't report what line but at least reports an error.

Using the Try, Catch & Finally method often just crates a fatal error and I have to step through code trying to work out what the problem is.

A big problem is that I have spent a long time creating an application with several reactors. I'm not sure if I will ever figure out why it is creating fatal errors.

Is there some reading material that can help me trap errors or work out if I have not disposed of something that should have been?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MarkPendergraft
in reply to: SRSDS

I've had some fatal errors from using Try/Catch ex as Exception/End Try as well.  However I was able to trap them using the following:
Try

'code.....

Catch

'error message

End Try.

It obviously doesn't provide you with an exception that you can then report to your user, but you should be able to figure out what the error is while debugging and then tell your code to catch it.

-Mark

Message 3 of 6
hgasty1001

Hi, 

This link may help you to understand exceptions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5b2yeyab(v=vs.100).aspx

Gaston Nunez

Message 4 of 6
Hallex

Try in the Visual studio to go to Project --> Properties-->Compile Tab

and set Option Strict to On, then hit F5, you will be see many possible

bad lines in your code before you run it, then revert back Option Stict to Off

and run again

Maybe it will be usefull for you

~'J'~

in reply to: Hallex

It most often never makes it to the catch part . The fatal error is initiated on the bad bit of code.

Something I will have to accept it seems.

That option strict generates a mass of errors. I'll see if I can spot anything unusual there.

Thanks all.

Message 6 of 6
Paulio

If you're importing Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime and you do a "Catch ex as exception" you're only catching the Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime exceptions so if you get a System.Exception it will error and not hit the catch.

The Runtime.exception inherits System.exception so catching System.exceptions should get them all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost