.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ensuring compatibility between versions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
doni49
397 Views, 7 Replies

Ensuring compatibility between versions?

I'm just getting started with using the APIs (Acad and Revit).  We use C3D 2014 and Revit 2014. 

I'm wondering how to go about best ensuring future compatibility (such as when some users get a new PC which will likely have the newer OS or when we upgrade to C3D 2016 and Revit 2016).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Keith.Brown
in reply to: doni49

The best way to insure compatibility is to use Autodesks auto loader and create a new dll whenever necessary. The auto loader will insure that the correct dll is loaded.

There are to many situations to describe when you might need a new dll. It is partly this reason why the auto loader was originally created.

If you google Autodesk auto loader white paper you will find all the information you need.
Message 3 of 8
doni49
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith,

Does this AutoLoader somehow build my app/extension (make a new DLL)?  From what I read, this AL seems like it is more to ensure that the right version of DLL is loaded.

My query is about making sure that my code stays compatibile (or as close as possible) upon OS/Platform upgrades.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
doni49

P.S.  I understand that nobody here can predict the future. 

But by the same token, I'm sure that there are things that expert coders do as a matter of routine, to make the upgrade process as easy as possible.  It's that type of info that I'm after.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 8
hgasty1001

Hi,

It seems my post was deleted, can some one confirm that?

Gaston Nunez

Message 6 of 8
doni49
in reply to: hgasty1001

Confirmed. I thought you did.

I received an email telling me that you had replied. But then it wasn't in the thread.

Don Ireland
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 8
hgasty1001

Thanks Don,

I think it was some kind of censorship as in my post expressed some concerns about the future that imply a possible new business model for Autodesk, here I go again:

First I said that it's little that you can do for ensure future compatibility, as nobody can guess the future, and my main concerns are about three things:

1.- Dwg file format, we expect a change at next version as we have 3 version with 2013 file format, so we will have, probably, a change in the API next year, so a recompile it's the minimum to expect.

2.- .NET Framework, MS can made a radical change any moment now, that can be disruptive.

3.- Autodesk Business Model, if Autodesk decide to full embrace the Cloud path with an SaaS Autocad as only option, we are (almost) doomed, all will change, and etc etc.

4.- I don not expect radical changes in OS as we are in 64 bit, with little to none hope to, massively, go to 128 bits in at least a decade or so.

Some links:

.NET Future

.NET Roadmap

New Windows

Finally I mentioned a couple of coding practices that may, and usually does, affect future compatibility: Interop as it's platform and version dependent, and third party libraries that we have no control.

I will keep a copy this time, just in case.

Gaston Nunez

Message 8 of 8
khoa.ho
in reply to: hgasty1001

It is a great post Gaston. As it draws a bigger picture of future development on AutoCAD.

I am working on some new technologies which will apply to AutoCAD and other CAD products. Here are some things I did to ensure compatibility between software versions:

1. .NET versions: different DLL builds for each .NET framework (3.5, 4.0, 4.5). As .NET framework is the foundation for all .NET APIs.
  2. Software versions: different DLL builds for each AutoCAD/Revit group versions:
    • AutoCAD 2007 - 2008 (.NET 2.0)
    • AutoCAD 2009 (.NET 3.0)
    • AutoCAD 2010 - 2011 (.NET 3.5)
    • AutoCAD 2012 (.NET 4.0))
    • AutoCAD 2013 - 2014 (.NET 4.0)
    • AutoCAD 2015 (.NET 4.5)
    • Revit 2013 - 2014 (.NET 4.0)
    • Revit 2015 (.NET 4.5)
  3. Auto-Loader in bundle package is the big help to specify which AutoCAD/Revit version coming with which DLL file. It only works for versions 2012 forward.
  4. Whenever Microsoft releases a new .NET framework, and Autodesk breaks their programming API and assembly references, we need to add a new DLL build to the list.

Microsoft for sure will promote their .NET framework as the heart programming tool. This framework is very mature with large developers and supported products.

Open source projects and JavaScript is the huge trends to promote web applications and move desktop applications to the cloud. Autodesk Business Model is on the way to the cloud with minimum impacts on existing developers. Autodesk cannot wipe out all developer knowledge with the totally new API (which is cloud-oriented). It will be a transition to move from desktop to cloud on products, but not for big changes on APIs. Therefore, we will not be doomed with new knowledge, just need to learn more.

JavaScript is a big change on API which tries to tie AutoCAD to the web. It still needs time to be side by side with .NET. JavaScript has many advantages which .NET developers should start to learn. However, JavaScript may eventually be replaced by TypeScript (from Microsoft) or Dart (from Google) which are closer to modern programming languages like C#.

In short, .NET is still a safe place for developers in this forum. Microsoft is the big giant behind, and Autodesk will maintain it to keep all existing developers and products, like legacy AutoLISP. Compatibility is to ensure new Microsoft .NET framework and new Autodesk APIs. Their products are moving cloud but their APIs still keep the same, with new extended cloud APIs.

-Khoa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost