.NET

Ojhysseus
Message 1 of 6 (1,192 Views)

Database.SaveAs() and Document.CloseAndSave() woes

1192 Views, 5 Replies
08-05-2006 09:03 PM
Hello Ppl,

I am trying to programmatically apply updates to a set of .dwg drawings, one of which involves inserting a block as per the below code. However, as per the subject line, I'm having trouble going about saving the resultant drawing to the filesystem even though it's to a different folder. The error message is "Error writing/closing file" when I use Database.SaveAs()

If I use the call to Document.CloseAndSave() instead, AutoCAD crashes, even when I've got a lock on the Document. Could somebody kindly shed some light on what I am doing wrong, and the proper way to go about it?
From the C++ samples I've checked, I shouldn't be too far from getting it right.. but that's not good enough yet. Thanks.

=====================================================
Public Shared Sub InsertSymbol(ByVal doc As Document, ByVal dwgPath As String, ByVal insertPoint As Point3d, Optional ByRef attribValues As StringDictionary = Nothing, Optional ByVal prompt As Boolean = False)

' dim loc as DocumentLock = doc.LockDocument()
Using t As Transaction = doc.TransactionManager.StartTransaction(), db As Database = New Database(False, False)
'read drawing
db.ReadDwgFile(dwgPath, FileShare.Read, True, Nothing)

'insert it as a new block
Dim idBTR As ObjectId = doc.Database.Insert("Watermark", db, True)
'create a ref to the block

Using bt As BlockTable = t.GetObject(doc.Database.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead), _
btr As BlockTableRecord = t.GetObject(bt(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForWrite), _
bref As BlockReference = New BlockReference(insertPoint, idBTR)

btr.AppendEntity(bref)
doc.TransactionManager.AddNewlyCreatedDBObject(bref, True)

Dim ed As Autodesk.AutoCAD.EditorInput.Editor = Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor
ed.WriteMessage("DWG Added")

End Using
t.Commit()
db.SaveAs("multicomponent_dyn.dwg", DwgVersion.Current) ' or doc.CloseAndSave("multicomponent_dyn.dwg")
' loc.Dispose()
End Using
End Sub
=====================================================

Rico.
Ojhysseus
Message 2 of 6 (1,192 Views)

Re: Database.SaveAs() and Document.CloseAndSave() woes

08-06-2006 02:03 PM in reply to: Ojhysseus
More on this issue... I have converted/ported a sample C++ usage of AcDbDatabase::saveAs() to VB.Net.
What I run into now is some mysterious eInvalidInput error status, along with a stack trace from the line where I call db.SaveAs("c:\\test1.dwg, DwgVersion.Current")

===========================================
Public Shared Sub CreateDwg()
Using db As Database = New Database(), _
tm As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.TransactionManager = db.TransactionManager, _
t as Transaction = tm.StartTransaction(), _
bt As BlockTable = tm.GetObject(db.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForWrite), _
btr As BlockTableRecord = tm.GetObject(bt(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForWrite)

Dim pCir1 As Circle = New Circle(New Point3d(1,1,1), _
New Vector3d(0,0,1), _
1.0), _
pCir2 as Circle = New Circle(New Point3d(4,4,4), _
New Vector3d(0,0,1), _
2.0)

btr.AppendEntity(pCir1)

btr.AppendEntity(pCir2)

'AcDbDatabase::saveAs() does NOT automatically
' // append a DWG file extension, so it
' // must be specified.
' //
db.SaveAs("c:\\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
End Using
End Sub
===========================================

Some help and enlightenment would be appreciated.. Thanks.

Rico.

Stack Trace:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.Exception: eInvalidInput
at Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Database.SaveAs(String fileName, DwgVersion version)
at DynaBlock.DynamicBlock.ReadDwgFile.CreateDwg() in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\DynaBlock\ReadDwgFile.vb:line 154
at DynaBlock.DynamicBlock.DynamicBlockCommands.DynCreate() in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SharpDevelop Projects\DynaBlock\DynBlock.vb:line 165
Distinguished Contributor
Alexander Rivilis
Message 3 of 6 (1,192 Views)

08-07-2006 02:46 AM in reply to: Ojhysseus
Change:
db.SaveAs("c:\\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
with:
db.SaveAs("c:\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
Double backslash is useful in C++/C# but not in VB
Ojhysseus
Message 4 of 6 (1,192 Views)

08-07-2006 03:10 AM in reply to: Ojhysseus
> Re: Database.SaveAs() and Document.CloseAndSave() woes
>Change:
>db.SaveAs("c:\\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
>with:
>db.SaveAs("c:\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
>Double backslash is useful in C++/C# but not in VB

Thanks Alexander. That seems to have been the reason for the invalid input error.
However, that amendment only takes me back to where I was with the code in the first post: "error writing/closing file" popping up and an exception eFileAccessErr being thrown.

I spent a good part of the day trying to compile the original C++ sample for CreateDwg() .. on Visual C++ Express Edition.
I think it's better I try that on the standard version instead.. or can I get the file 'mfc80u.lib' somewhere? It's missing for some reason..
Thanks.

Rico.
Distinguished Contributor
Alexander Rivilis
Message 5 of 6 (1,192 Views)

08-07-2006 03:18 AM in reply to: Ojhysseus
This code generate no errors fore me (c:\test1.dwg is not opened or locked with another application)
[code]
Public Shared Sub CreateDwg()
Using db As Database = New Database(), _
tm As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.TransactionManager = db.TransactionManager, _
t As Transaction = tm.StartTransaction(), _
bt As BlockTable = tm.GetObject(db.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForWrite), _
btr As BlockTableRecord = tm.GetObject(bt(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForWrite)

Dim pCir1 As Circle = New Circle(New Point3d(1, 1, 1), _
New Vector3d(0, 0, 1), _
1.0), _
pCir2 As Circle = New Circle(New Point3d(4, 4, 4), _
New Vector3d(0, 0, 1), _
2.0)

btr.AppendEntity(pCir1)
t.AddNewlyCreatedDBObject(pCir1, True)
btr.AppendEntity(pCir2)
t.AddNewlyCreatedDBObject(pCir2, True)

'AcDbDatabase::saveAs() does NOT automatically
' // append a DWG file extension, so it
' // must be specified.
' //
db.SaveAs("c:\test1.dwg", DwgVersion.Current)
End Using
End Sub
[/code]
Ojhysseus
Message 6 of 6 (1,192 Views)

08-07-2006 11:45 AM in reply to: Ojhysseus
All right! Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback Alexander.
Glad to know that the code is okay and that my abilities for simple inspection weren't failing me :smileyhappy:
For my part, took me a while but I've managed to find an installation of VS.Net 2005 that compiled the C++ samples to .arx (forget about the Express Edition ppl)
And that one worked too.. got to poke around my .Net config I guess.

Rico.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community