Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config XML INI share on network drive

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Dale.Bartlett
484 Views, 2 Replies

Config XML INI share on network drive

I want to have an application settings file stored centrally on a network drive. In the past I have used INI files, and for a Windows app would now use an app.exe.config XML file. My question is: what is the preferred technique for storing shared settings centrally for an AutoCAD .dll plug-in? It seems even for a full Windows app that the app.exe.config file can't be located on a network drive, but I could be mistaken. In any case that doesn't appear an option for a .dll plug-in. Everyone comments that INI files "are so 90s", but I can't see an alternative. Thanks again for any and all comments. Dale   

dgorsman
in reply to: Dale.Bartlett

Stupid question time: is anything preventing you from just using a "normal" XML file on the network instead of app.exe.config?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
Dale.Bartlett
in reply to: dgorsman

No it's not a stupid question. There are lots of ways to store shared values, from simple text, INI, XML, etc. It is a very common requirement in a managed networked environment, and the tools to set these values are built into Dot Net 4.0 with the app.exe.config process. I'm happy with the suggestion of plain XML on the server if there is no "best practice" alternative. It seems that ConfigurationManager is able to be shared http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms224437.aspx but I am yet to test this. Also I am not sure this fits with a plug-in .dll rather than a Windows application .exe - bit of experimentation required. Of course it is hard to fault the tried and tested INI approach. Thanks for the response. Dale

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost