.NET

Valued Mentor
DiningPhilosopher
Message 11 of 14 (177 Views)

Re: Catching Keyboard and Mouse Events

03-08-2013 03:49 PM in reply to: BlackBox_

BlackBoxCAD wrote:

My post was not in any way intended to challenge the request for more information; instead it was simply in the hopes of gaining some level of understanding behind the seemingly absolute response you originally offered.

The OP asked about events, not hooking windows messages.

I asked for more specifics because there are ways to handle things like pointer movements in the drawing editor without having to handle low-level input events.

Active Contributor
WWFreeman
Message 12 of 14 (174 Views)

03-08-2013 05:57 PM in reply to: DiningPhilosopher

I actually ended up creating a new modeless window that takes control when focused. Basically got to where layer walk is. Gee, what a test.

What prevents me from marking this topic as solved is whether the message filter could be applied application wide. That is, whether a message filter can be added on the plugin initialization.

Valued Mentor
DiningPhilosopher
Message 13 of 14 (163 Views)

03-09-2013 12:29 AM in reply to: WWFreeman

WWFreeman wrote:

I actually ended up creating a new modeless window that takes control when focused. Basically got to where layer walk is. Gee, what a test.

What prevents me from marking this topic as solved is whether the message filter could be applied application wide. That is, whether a message filter can be added on the plugin initialization.

Message filters can be added at any time during a plugin's life.

Active Contributor
WWFreeman
Message 14 of 14 (158 Views)

03-09-2013 12:39 AM in reply to: DiningPhilosopher

Alright. Although I didn't actually apply that in the end, it is the answer to the initial question:

BlackBoxCAD wrote:

Forgive my curiosity, but while this is no Ctrl+MouseWheel Event handler, what's wrong with DoEvents(), and acedUsrBrk() to catch user input?

Quote:

"It's fairly common for developers to want to check for user input from time to time during long operations, especially to see whether the user wants to cancel the current activity. In VB you'd use DoEvents() to enable messages to be processed by the application's message loop and in ObjectARX you'd use acedUsrBrk().

So how to do this in .NET?

The answer is to use a message filter. This allows us to check on user-input events... we still call DoEvents, as with previous versions of VB, which allows user input events (such as keystrokes) to flow into our message filter function. We can then detect the events we care about, and filter them out, if necessary."

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/02/index.html

DiningPhilosopher wrote:

Message filters can be added at any time during a plugin's life.

With a really strong notions of dangers of such approach:

DiningPhilosopher wrote:

If you use an IMessageFilter and check if certain keys are pressed, and what is currently happening in AutoCAD, you might be able to do what you need.  You can use System.Windows.Forms.ModifierKeys to check if CTR/SHIFT/ALT are pressed when you see a mouse wheel message, but you'd have to find a combination of keys that aren't used by AutoCAD with mouse wheel activity, if you don't want to step on that.

Thanks everyone.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community