Did you mean: 

CBP.SetProperty Object reference not set to an instance of an object

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
346 Views, 1 Reply

CBP.SetProperty Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hello every one again...

I Hope you are not getting tired of me asking stupid questions...

I have a similar routine working in an old version of our office automation, and for this rewrite I am attempting to modify the custompropertybag object inside a listview (showdialog) form. I passed the custompropertybag as a variable to this form (as per my previous thread here), and am able to extract all the relevent names/values/flags to populate the listview. the user is able to modify the values in this listview (showdialog) form.

I am now trying to assign the values back to the custompropertybag and am getting this error message...

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ACSMCOMPONENTS18Lib.IAcSmCustomPropertyBag.SetProperty(String name, AcSmCustomPropertyValue value)
   at SSMExplorer.CustomPropertyEditorForm.SetCustomProperty(String Name, String Value, String Flag) in C:\Users\Adam Kalajzich\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\SSMExplorer\SSMExplorer\CustomPropertyEditorForm.vb:line 193

and here is the code that I am using:

Private Function SetCustomProperty(ByVal Name As String, _
                                  ByVal Value As String, _
                                  ByVal Flag As String) As Boolean

Dim myProp As New AcSmCustomPropertyValue

myProp.SetValue(Value.ToString)

Select Case Flag
            Case "EMPTY"
                If True Then
                    myProp.SetFlags(PropertyFlags.EMPTY)
                End If
                Exit Select
            Case "CUSTOM_SHEETSET_PROP"
                If True Then
                    myProp.SetFlags(PropertyFlags.CUSTOM_SHEETSET_PROP)
                End If
                Exit Select
            Case "CUSTOM_SHEET_PROP"
                If True Then
                    myProp.SetFlags(PropertyFlags.CUSTOM_SHEET_PROP)
                End If
                Exit Select
        End Select

CPB.SetProperty(Name, myProp) '' defined by Public/global variable CPB As AcSmCustomPropertyBag
'' errors on above line
End Function

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So,

I have attempted to hunt down this issue, but regretably with no results.

my understanding is that the error message is saying I am attempting to reference an object that has a value ( or lack of a value) that is NOTHING. The use of "new" was also investigated.

so, while debuging, I have placed a few "if not nothing"s around the variables and all have values. I can interigate and watch the values being set and manipulated, in the debug / watch windows.

the command: CPB.SetProperty(name, myProp) does trigger the error message, but no variable is set to nothing

I have been able to extract information from the CPB object, why can I not write information to this object?

The only hint that I have is that I need to use:

myProp.initnew(someobject as IAcSMPersist)

but the above line only is used when choosing where (parent object) the custom propertybad is. I dont need (?) to do this, because I have the custompropertybag object itself.

I am at a loss, can any one point me or help me to the correct way to setproperty to a CPB object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost