Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Events Help

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
HJohn1
538 Views, 1 Reply

Application Events Help

In VBA I have a routine that used the Application's AppActivate and AppDeactivate events.  Also, in VBA I used the BeginCommand and EndCommand events.  Now, in .NET I am not sure how to use them.  I put together a class to use these events in .NET.  It seems to be working, but I am not sure of what I am doing.  Could someone who has been using these events in .NET take a look at the following class and let me know what needs to be improved or changed.  Basically, I am looking to achieve something similar to what I was using in VBA.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.EditorInput
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime

Public Class MyAppEventClass
    Implements Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.IExtensionApplication

Public Sub Initialize() Implements Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.IExtensionApplication.Initialize

AddHandler Application.DocumentManager.DocumentCreated, AddressOf Me.CallBack_DocumentCreated

Call Me.IntializeEvents()

End Sub

Public Sub Terminate() Implements Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.IExtensionApplication.Terminate
        'I am not sure if I really need to remove the handlers
    End Sub

Private Sub CallBack_CommandEnded(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As CommandEventArgs)
        Dim ed As Editor = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor
        ed.WriteMessage(vbCrLf & "A command is about to end.")
    End Sub

Private Sub CallBack_CommandWillStart(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As CommandEventArgs)
        ed.WriteMessage(vbCrLf & "A command is about to start.")
    End Sub

Private Sub CallBack_DocumentCreated(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DocumentCollectionEventArgs)

Me.IntializeEvents()

End Sub
    Private Sub CallBack_DocumentToBeActivated(ByVal seneder As Object, ByVal e As DocumentCollectionEventArgs)
        ed.WriteMessage(vbCrLf & "A document is about to be activated.")
    End Sub
    Private Sub CallBack_DocumentToBeDeactivated(ByVal seneder As Object, ByVal e As DocumentCollectionEventArgs)
        ed.WriteMessage(vbCrLf & "A document is about to be deactivated.")
    End Sub
    Private Sub CallBack_DocumentActivationChanged(ByVal seneder As Object, ByVal e As DocumentActivationChangedEventArgs)
        ed.WriteMessage(vbCrLf & "Document activation has changed.")
    End Sub

Private Sub IntializeEvents()
        Dim Doc As Document

For Each Doc In Application.DocumentManager

AddHandler Doc.CommandWillStart, AddressOf Me.CallBack_CommandWillStart

AddHandler Doc.CommandEnded, AddressOf Me.CallBack_CommandEnded

Next

AddHandler Application.DocumentManager.DocumentToBeActivated, AddressOf Me.CallBack_DocumentToBeActivated

AddHandler Application.DocumentManager.DocumentToBeDeactivated, AddressOf Me.CallBack_DocumentToBeDeactivated

AddHandler Application.DocumentManager.DocumentActivationChanged, AddressOf Me.CallBack_DocumentActivationChanged

End Sub

Private Sub TerminateEvents()
        'Handler removal here
    End Sub

End Class

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
leefsma
in reply to: HJohn1

Hi John,

Your VB.Net events do not work because you need to keep a member variable inside your class for each object you are listening events from, otherwise .Net will not maintain the callback on an object that is garbage collected.

Here is a small example. Also remember that .Net classes are instanciated once per document, the first time you run a command in that document, so this behavior may influence your events as they depend on member variables.

if you want to have an application wide event that doesn't relate directly to a specific document, you can use the keyword "Shared", so the member is instanciated only once.

Public Class PerDocManager
    Implements IExtensionApplication

Private Shared _DocumentManager As DocumentCollection

'///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    '//
    '//
    '///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Public Sub Initialize() Implements IExtensionApplication.Initialize

'Un-comment if you want to demandload the dll after the first loading
        'Otherwise run command "RegisterMe" to manually register for demandloading
        'Run command Unregister to delete demandloading registry entry
        'RegisterMe()

_DocumentManager = Application.DocumentManager

AddHandler _DocumentManager.DocumentActivated, AddressOf DocumentActivated

AddHandler _DocumentManager.DocumentToBeDestroyed, AddressOf DocumentToBeDestroyed

End Sub

'//
    '//
    Public Sub Terminate() Implements IExtensionApplication.Terminate

RemoveHandler _DocumentManager.DocumentActivated, AddressOf DocumentActivated

RemoveHandler _DocumentManager.DocumentToBeDestroyed, AddressOf DocumentToBeDestroyed

End Sub

I hope it helps.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Consultant
Developer Technical Services
Global Subscription & Support

Autodesk EMEA

www.autodesk.com/joinadn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost