Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding objects to multiple files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pseDesign
302 Views, 2 Replies

Adding objects to multiple files

Hello folks 🙂 I'm a fairly recent entry to the worlds of both VB.NET and AutoCAD customization and so far I have been mostly playing with the tutorials provided in help to get a bit the "hang" of it.

One of the most useful things for my job would be to open multiple files and add/delete specific things in them. For example adding a logo from a block to the table etc. However, where so far I'm doing well on opening multiple files in AutoCAD and also able to automatically draw entities in a new file created from a template, I cannot make my code to add new entities to multiple existing drawings. Below, I'm posting the code I've written (mostly a "puzzle" of tutorial code, hehe 😛 )

Can you please help me on what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

CODE BELOW

===========================================

Public Class RepformMain
    Dim repformDialog As New repformSetup

<CommandMethod("repform")> _
    Public Sub repform()

'' We use this to open multiple (if needed) files in AutoCAD for automatic REPFORMing
        Dim openDialogBox As New Autodesk.AutoCAD.Windows.OpenFileDialog("Select files to repform", "", "dwg", "RepformFiles", Autodesk.AutoCAD.Windows.OpenFileDialog.OpenFileDialogFlags.AllowMultiple)
        Dim dm As DocumentCollection = Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Application.DocumentManager

If repformDialog.ShowDialog() = System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            If openDialogBox.ShowDialog() = System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then

Dim fileNamesResult As Array = openDialogBox.GetFilenames()      '' Multiple filenames are considered arrays so we assign them to one

For Each fileName As String In fileNamesResult
                    Try
                        Dim acDocumentOpening As Document = dm.Open(fileName, False)          '' dm.Open function can open them one at a time
                        Dim acDocumentDatabase As Database = acDocumentOpening.Database

Using acLckDoc As DocumentLock = acDocumentOpening.LockDocument()
                            Using acTrans As Transaction = acDocumentDatabase.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()   '' Start transaction with drawing

''Open the Block table for read
                                Dim acDocumentBlockTable As BlockTable
                                acDocumentBlockTable = acTrans.GetObject(acDocumentDatabase.BlockTableId, _
                                                                OpenMode.ForRead)
                                ''Open the Block table record Model space for write
                                Dim acNewRecord As BlockTableRecord = acTrans.GetObject(acDocumentBlockTable(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), _
                                                                     OpenMode.ForWrite)
                                '' Create a single-line text object
                                Dim acCirc As Circle = New Circle()
                                With acCirc
                                    .SetDatabaseDefaults(acDocumentDatabase)
                                    .Center = New Point3d(5, 5, 0)
                                    .Radius = 300
                                End With

acNewRecord.AppendEntity(acCirc)
                                acTrans.AddNewlyCreatedDBObject(acCirc, True)
                                '' Save the changes and dispose of the transaction
                                acTrans.Commit()
                            End Using
                        End Using

Catch ex As Exception
                        MsgBox(ex.Message)                                       '' In case of error present an error box with the information
                    End Try

Next

End If
        End If
    End Sub

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
chiefbraincloud
in reply to: pseDesign

I haven't examined your code closely, or tried it, but I looked enough to see that you do have a DocumentLock in there, so it may be that the last step you need is to use the Session CommandFlag.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 3 of 3
pseDesign
in reply to: pseDesign

That solved the problem 🙂 I'm grateful, thank you so much for that tip 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost