Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD and Visual Studio 05

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dgladfelter
298 Views, 5 Replies

ACAD and Visual Studio 05

While I understand this is likely elementary to many of you, I have yet to figure it out – hence my post. Basically I have MS Visual Studio 2005, and would like to use it to develop some customizations in AutoCAD.

Thus far I have downloaded the Object ARX for AutoCAD 2006. Once downloaded I ran the ArxWizards.msi, which I thought would set everything up for me. After doing that I went into VS 05 to create a new project, and the AutoCAD Managed VB Project Application was not sowing up. I have been attempting to follow Through The Interface Blog (http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2006/07/getting_started.html), again with no success.

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Donnie

Donnie Gladfelter

Sr. Manager, Technical Staff Development, Bowman

The CAD Geek Blog

Facebook |Twitter |YouTube |LinkedIn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dmarcotte4
in reply to: dgladfelter

You need the 2007 SDK for VS2005, If your doing .NET you can get started by referencing the managed DLL files, acdbmgd.dll and acmgd.dll .checkout some of the labs to get you started

Dan
Message 3 of 6
dgladfelter

Thanks Dan...

That seems to have done the trick. Yet another stupid question. Realizing this is the Object ARX for 07, will this work with ACAD 06?

Donnie

Donnie Gladfelter

Sr. Manager, Technical Staff Development, Bowman

The CAD Geek Blog

Facebook |Twitter |YouTube |LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6
chuck.han

Not only will ObjectArx 2007 not work for AutoCAD 2006, you need to use the previous version of Visual Studio to compile your ARX application using ObjectArx 2006 to run on AutoCAD 2006. You will probably have common files that can be used on both versions of AutoCAD, so put them in a "Common" directory so that both 2006 and 2007 projects can access them (and produce separate 2006 and 2007 binaries).

Note that the compatibility issues are all clearly stated in the documentation.
Message 5 of 6
dmarcotte4

I would assume by Donnie’s post, that the intention is to create managed applications by using VB.NET, in which case VS2005 will work just fine as long as the correct dll’s are referenced, since they are version specific. Donnie in the 2006 SDK that you have downloaded , Take a look at the ..\samples\dotNet directory. Find the “VBNetArx” folder and double click on the vbnetarx.vbproj. You will probably be prompted to convert the solution to VS2005 which is fine, run through the wizard then hit “F5”. You should have just built your first application  Now the fun begins. Just so your aware the ObjectARX wizard caters more towards unmanaged C++ developers so it’s not going to be much help to you except for the help files and samples. As I recommended earlier, you should also download the labs the work though them.

Happy coding
Dan
Message 6 of 6
cgay

You can use VS 2005 just fine with AutoCAD 2006.
AutoCAD 2007 REQUIRES VS 2005 or higher.
AutoCAD 2006 and AutoCAD 2007 .NET extensions are not interchangable though. You will have to re-reference the managed libraries (found in the ObjectARX SDKs or the AutoCAD application directory) and recompile to get a plug-in written for AutoCAD 2006 to run in AutoCAD 2007 (probably have to fix some code too).

If you cannot debug an add-in in 2006, check the 'acad.exe.config' file. Usually the debugging issue happens because AutoCAD 2006 is set to Only use v1.x of the .NET framework. Commenting out this line will let it use the most recent version installed on your machine (v2.x) and will let you debug in VS 2005.

C

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost