Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring texture maps

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tonytrout
1595 Views, 3 Replies

Transferring texture maps

Headus UV layout has recently added a repaint feature to their UV software that enables you to transfer texture maps from mudbox if you reflatten or repack your UVs. I think you may be able to do this via Maya too but I find it a useful addition to my mudbox texturing workflow anyways.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tonytrout
in reply to: tonytrout

Heres a test with this, Needed to restretch the UVs on my model in mudbox after sculpting in a mouth and didnt want to lose the work I had done so far on the texture. Nothing like having a non linear workflow.

Left pic shows model with new reflattened UVs and old texturemap, pic on right shows same model with new texturemap after running it through Headus UV Layout. Looks promising, dont seem to be any seam issues, this was using 16bit tiffs, I tried a 32 bit tiff texture file and it came out mid greyscaled, will have to try it for displacement maps though you can go through a sculpt with displace workflow in mudbox to do that easily enough.

Just a quick job on repacking the UVs to test so dont ping me on that :)Phil at headus has a video showing the workflow, Unless you preserve the shells bounday orientation and scale there is a little loss of quality on the texture transfer sampling, but there is some workarounds for those.

Message 3 of 4
tonytrout

Heres the same thing with a 32bit displacement tif. Headus currently doesnt handle exr's. Old disp map applied left to reUV'd model, repaint transferred disp map applied on the right. For a rough and dirty test not bad, only real error I could see was some spike over the left eyebrow. Less usefull than for texture maps but interesting none the less. Im surprised mudbox dont implement texture map transfer.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

does the transfer work by raytrace sampling between 2 overlapping meshes with different vertex ids, or must the transfer happen on an exact vertex id model?
(this ability exists in maya already, and can work to some extent on very high polycounts though i haven never tried transfering color maps on diff uvs on a 6+mil poly model)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report