Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to set up Mudbox VDM in 3ds max 2012

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ErikLopez-
496 Views, 3 Replies

Does anyone know how to set up Mudbox VDM in 3ds max 2012

The first time I read about the Vector Displacement feature in Max 2012 ans Mudbox I were so excited, mainly because of the Wayne Robson's video
http://vimeo.com/10730942
But until this very day I can't replicate the example. Is there something I'm missing. I'm extracting the map as this.
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/images/tutorials/vector_displacement/map_extraction_optio...
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
gandalf1774
in reply to: ErikLopez-

Hi,

Based on my experience, there are 2 ways to setup VDM on 3DS Max 2012.

First is the fastest way is to use send to 3DS Max feature on Mudbox. After you generated a VDM file in your high and low poly mesh you can click the "Send to 3DS Max" feature on Mudbox to automatically setup straight away on 3DS Max 2012. If you have 2 tiled UVs it will use the Multi/Sub or if you have 1 tile UV it will just use the standard material. Inside the displacement slot the vector displacement shader was linked and inside this shader the generated VDM is located.

Second method is the manual way, you can save your low poly mesh (obj) and the vector displacement map file. Import manually your low poly mesh in 3DS Max and look for vector displacement shader and plug in to displacement slot inside your chosen material for your generated VDM file.

Inside your vector displacement shader, you have to plug in your VDM file and choose tangent if you generated the VDM file as tangent.

For rendering, you need to setup your renderer as mental ray for it to work. Uncheck the Global Settings and Smoothing under Renderer Tab. After this setup you can now render.
Message 3 of 4
ErikLopez-

Thanks for your reply. I knew about that button but it sends geometry back and forth but I haven't figured out yet how to send the sculpt layers as maps. I'll take a further reading to help files. Another issue I have is because I don't have any idea how to set up the gamma of the files Mudbox renders because in the video they seems pretty colorful but the one I got is washed out.
Message 4 of 4
gandalf1774

For sending the sculpted layers as maps, it's automatically send to 3DS Max. Everytime you create or extract a map, mudbox always create a folder and saved that maps inside that folder. But in order to save the maps you have to save your working scene. The folder name is the same name as your working name you saved with extension .mud. One reason I can see regarding the gamma in the video is the extracted map has a high resolution or higher subdivision compared to your poly mesh. Another thing is if the differences or changes that you've done on high poly is not much compared with your low poly then the extracted vector displacement map will give you not so colorful or washed out compared with the Wayne's video.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report