Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Mudbox sculpt to zBrush

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
725 Views, 11 Replies

Converting Mudbox sculpt to zBrush

Anyone know how I could take a sculpt from Mudbox and import it into Zbrush?

Basically I want to a take a sculpt from Mudbox and use ZMapper to create a normal map, because I've been having consistent problems exporting out of mudbox and ZMapper seems to yield better results anyways.

I have tried exporting low and high division OBJ's from mudbox and importing the low into zbrush and the high as a division of it but zb crashes every time.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
in reply to: Anonymous

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, the only way is to import the high res as an obj and then in ZB do a reconstruct subdivsions to arrive at lower res meshes. The lowest res mesh will be different from the one in MB though, so I'm not quite sure know how that fits into your exact workflow.

Cheers!
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Hey thanks for the speedy reply 🙂

This is for a game model so it can't be to far different from the original low poly mesh as to mess up the silhouette of the original low-poly model. How different would it be? I suppose I can just give it a shot and see how it works out.

Thanks again
Message 4 of 12

I personally havent done this before, so I cant really help you with more than just the previously mentioned info.

The way I understand it, is that ZB and MB arrange the verts differently during the subdivision-process, hence the different results.

How exactely that works out in reverse and for your example, I cant say. Sorry! Unless someone else knows more, I guess you'll just have to go by trial&error.:o

Keep us posted about your progress though!:)

Cheers!
Message 5 of 12
2bytes

its possible,

you import the low res mesh, then divide the low res mesh to the same res of the hi poly version, and I believe there is a feature to retopologize. The hi poly needs to imported as a sub tool for this to work I believe.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Well I imported the High Poly sculpt into zb and did a reconstruct subdivision down to the low poly like suggested and it actually arrived at the exact same topology. The normal map I exported was backwards but thats just because I didn't check the option to flip it zb and just flipped it in photoshop. The resulting normal map was alot better too, no weird patches like I got out of mudbox with the same sculpt.

Thanks for the help 😄
Message 7 of 12

That's great to hear! Thanks for the feedback!:D
Message 8 of 12
Saltiva

Yes, I've done this several times- make sure your mesh is all quads because sometimes you can sneak one into Mud and when you take it into Zbrush- Zbrush will split the nonquad polys (ngons) and alter your mesh. basically youd export your low and high meshs from mud then in Zbrush open your low mesh and subdivide it to the same level as the high being aware the Mud has o level whereas Zbrush doesn't- then at the high level you'd do a merge import near the bottom of your tool pallete- play with the settings but it's fairly straight forward.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

MudBox 2 should copy the "reconstruct" feature of Zbrush because it is invaluable.
The only problem is (as the other members have alaready said) is that it does seem to alter the point order somewhere along the line in your mesh, making it unusuable when you try to import it back into Mud as a layer.
I still use Zbrush when I am working in Subdivisions as once it has been converted to polys I can then export this into Zbrush (obj.) and use the reconstruct to make a base mesh for easy uv creation.
I then update new uv map created with my base to the high-rez original. But...I have to do this in Z not Mud, or the get the infamous exploding poly mesh.
I would also like to see the lazy mouse feature added as well to Mud. Brilliant tool for doing hair or cloth designs.
In saying this, I could never go back to Z as my modeling app. There is no comparison when it comes to the sculpting ease that Mud offers.
Message 10 of 12
pointpusher

@ Odhinn444,

When reimporting to Mud you can turn off vert order and use UVs instead. I did this a couple of times and it seems OK. Have you tried this yet?
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Pointpusher:
Funny,...I always saw it and it never registered. Thanks for that.
No, I have never tried it but I have a new piece I am working on so I will let you know how it goes.
I think a simple reconstruct levels option added to a new Mud v.2 release would solve most of my problems.
Thanks again for the tip.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

How? Thanks

its possible,

you import the low res mesh, then divide the low res mesh to the same res of the hi poly version, and I believe there is a feature to retopologize. The hi poly needs to imported as a sub tool for this to work I believe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report