MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gimbal killer & unroll rotations

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
alex.sz
2964 Views, 2 Replies

gimbal killer & unroll rotations

Hi, I was wondering where's exactly the difference between the gimbal killer filter and unroll rotations? For which problem with gimbal locks do you use what? I didn't really find a good explanation. Could you please bring light in the dark?

Thank you very much

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
doodski
in reply to: alex.sz

I have rarely seen the gimbal killer actually kill any gimbal lock, although it may be more successful when control rig is active. Typically it just keys the bejesus out of the gimbal lock (maybe making it super obvious to view?). Then a person can delete those keys/section and run an unroll from the beginning/ first key of the gimbal lock to the end of the curves (must select all three ROT channels) and should correct the locked axis. The newer versions of Motionbuilder seem to work without any trickery. Simply select the entire rotation curves , select the unroll filter, preview, accept and if motionbuilder is able, it will correct the gimbal lock similar to an Euler filter in Maya.

Message 3 of 3
alex.sz
in reply to: alex.sz

Thanks for your reply! There's still one point i don't get. The unroll rotations filter has the quality option. You activate this by selecting path, otherwise only the Y Axis will be unrolled, right? But how exactly works the quality does this affect the curves? Didn't find a explantion for that, autodesk just writes "it manipulates" the curves...... Thanks 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report