MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record rigid body animation to joints

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
game_dev_57
648 Views, 2 Replies

Record rigid body animation to joints

Hi, I have created and rigged a character in Maya, with a ponytail and several joints in the ponytail.  I imported the character to MB, and then I have followed the tutorial in MotionBuilder 2013's help, 'Creating a Joint Chain Reaction' which basically involves adding rigid bodies to a few spheres attached to each other with joints.

I have parented each of these spheres to a the joints in the pony tail using a parent/child constraint to drive the pony tail's dynamics, because I couldn't figure out a way to add a rigid body directly to the joint.  This works well and I have nice movement on the hair.  Next, I recorded the animation from the solver to the spheres.  I now have animation on the hair's joints(driven from the parented spheres) even when the solver is off.  

My problem is...now the animation is recorded to the spheres.  I need it on the hair's joints.

I have tried copying the keys from the spheres to their respective child joints and all the resulting FCurves look identical, but when I remove the spheres, the hair goes crazy.  I would expect the joints to act as if they're still parented to the spheres because they both have the same fcurves.

What am I missing here? Is there another step besides copying the fcurves or keys from the parent sphere to the child joint?  Or, even better, is there a way to add the rigid body directly to the hair's joints(which were added in Maya).

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
paula44
in reply to: game_dev_57

Hi! This tutorials will help you. I don't remember exactly witch one, but is there.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/motionbuilder-issue-1-6

Good luck

Message 3 of 3
game_dev_57
in reply to: paula44

Thanks for your suggestion, but I didn't find any information in those tutorials on copying keyframe data from from a parent model to the constrained child model.  I ended up just selecting all of the children models, and just stepping forward and setting a key on each of them.  This seems to achieve my goal of copying the animation.  I think the issue may have something to do with the fact that you can't simply copy keys or fcurves from one model to another when a constraint is involved...I read this somewhere, but I may be wrong.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report