MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror in walk cycle

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Shrike025
3036 Views, 10 Replies

Mirror in walk cycle

Hi,

I create a walk, so I set general stances like contact, down, up etc. and work with pose controls to mirror it. After that I add some corrections to, for example, left arm to make it swing more realistic. How to mirror it to the right side to avoid doing this manualy? I can use copy and paste keys or poses again, but it's to many keys for that.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jae.chung
in reply to: Shrike025

Hi, 

If you select a Character from the Navigator, you'd be able to expand Modifier > Mirror Animation.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Jae

Product Manager
Autodesk
Message 3 of 11
Shrike025
in reply to: jae.chung

Yeah, I saw this, but it can mirror everything not just one piece like arm. Or I just don't know how to use it.

Message 4 of 11
Shrike025

Really there is no way to do that? I have to animate left arm and than manually animate right arm??

Message 5 of 11
doodski

are you using a control rig? 

save a pose (full body or body part)

past the pose (full body or body part)

ONLY KEY THE ARM (body part mode)

that will save the data that's pasted on ONLY the arm.

Hope that helps.... and yep keyframe animation IS a manual process

Message 6 of 11
Shrike025
in reply to: doodski

It is a solution, but if I have many keys for left arm, I have to create a lot of poses and it takes time.

I know it's a manual process. 😛 But I don't see any sense in doing exactly the same thing twice. The curves for the left arm and the right arm are the same - the only difference is translation in time.

To save time I copy all translation and rotation keys from one arm, than I paste them to another one and move in time so that the animation is opposite. I think it can be done automatically with a simple script - copy everything from left body parts, paste to adequate right body parts and move forward for example 15 frames.

I can't believe that professional animators animate the same thing twice - it is like modeling without symmetry or mirror tool.

Message 7 of 11
doodski

Yeah I know what you mean. But unfortunately that's a workflow strategy rather than a program shortcoming. Some people like to key both sides until the motion is good , or just copy and paste the keys, then offset the opposite side.

Good luck! Sorry couldn't be more help
Message 8 of 11
Shrike025

I see. Ok than, I will try to get used to this workflow :). Or, I will try to write some script myself. Thanks for your help! I have the answer finally :).

Message 9 of 11
doodski

Heck yes a script would be great. Keep in mind though, typically the subtle nuances of asymmetry add to the authenticity of most animations (cycles may often exclude this).
Message 10 of 11
Shrike025

Yeah, this is why it's worth to do it manually I guess. I'm just thinking about some time-saving cunning tricks, when, for example, I need only basic animation to put in a game and see how it looks.

Message 11 of 11

just copy and move the time slider to your offset and paste.. it will paste at that time point and offset your keys for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report