Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poly-subd convert problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
E-Ren
403 Views, 4 Replies

poly-subd convert problem

I am currently going through tutorials on Digital Tutors and I am on the course for modeling a velociraptor, and when I convert the body polygons to subdiv, certain points become detached as seen in the screen shot. This is not occurring in the tutorial though. So I am not entirely sure why this is happening.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: E-Ren

You have a series of polygons that are not merged together obviously,(sometimes is not apparent when is in poly mode).... first all your lines must be connected to where the mesh is opening apart, insert edges on the thighs, arms , tail ,torso, etc... , then select the vertices that are not connected and merge them together....go to top menu Display>Heads up Display>Polycount so it will show on 

the top left corner the number of faces, edges and vertices you have on your mesh,

If you keep your eye there by selecting vertices that are not connected, when you use the merge tool you'll see that the Heads up displays updates to show you that the vertices were merged into one.

Also remember to keep the model with quads only for good subdvision....you have to clean up your model a little bit more.

Message 3 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: damaggio

And I just noticed, you should not convert polys to subdivision, this is an old technic that is no longer used anywhere, select your poly model and press the 3 key to turn into a subdivision model, the latest version of Maya comes now with Pixar Opensudv.

You can return to the low poly mesh by hitting 1.

Read more about subdivision modeling if you can.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 5
E-Ren

I was following a step by step tutorial that was on a learning path which is mostly why I'm stumped as to why this happened since I followed everything they did. I'll have to double check my mesh and the vertices I suppose.
Message 5 of 5
E-Ren

This tutorial appears to be an older one since the version of Maya appears older. It was put in to show how you can do the conversion if needed, I suppose at the time. I just wanted to finish it to move on to the next one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report