Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

invisible polys on clothes...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
369 Views, 3 Replies

invisible polys on clothes...

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I followed a tutorial on youtube for creating clothes using panels and Garment Maker. I successfully followed the entire tutorial, but I only had ONE problem: The back panel pieces of my garment remained invisible on one side, so my clothes are visible in the front but not the back. Also, you can see the back panels only from the inside of the clothing. I don't know how to make my panels 2 sided.

How do I do this?

Using 3DS Max 8.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
samab
in reply to: Anonymous

I expect you did not rotate the back panel round so that it's normals face outwards. Remember to do this in future.
If you don't want to re-stitch and sim the cloth, you could Flip the normals with Edit Poly/Mesh.
If you want to see both sides, turn off Backface Culling. It should render both sides if the material is two-sided. If you want real thickness to the cloth, use Shell.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: samab

Thanks for your help. I went into the materials for the shirt and selected 2-sided. Now to stop this shirt from doin all this pinching...
Message 4 of 4
samab
in reply to: Anonymous

Now to stop this shirt from doin all this pinching…

It could be related to the same problem, the back panel of the shirt is still inside-out, that could confuse the seams. To make it right properly, you will have to go back a few steps, to the placing panels bit and rotate the back panel 180deg, re-apply the seams, re-sim.
I often go back and re-do the sim after editing the spline when making garments. They dont always fit well at first, so you have to go back to Edit Spline and tailor them to fit better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report