Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing models...

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
231 Views, 14 Replies

importing models...

I know this sounds like a super stupid question, but I just started using Max and can't figured it out yet. I want to make a scene usuing (of course) multiple objects I've created (houses, trees, people). How do I get all the elements into one scene?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Depending on the format the other assets are saved as, I usually use the 'Merge' option under 'Import' to bring in models from other Max scene files (saved as .max files). If you descriptively named the items in the scene, it's easy to import only the objects you want by selecting them on the import dialog.

If the assets are in other formats, you would take a similar approach and click 'Import' and select the file format that assets are saved as. I'm only familiar with importing '.obj' and '.fbx' files. Hope that answers your question.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

depending on your max version...in Max 2010, go to file, "import", then "Merge" then select the scene you want. A window will open showing you all the objects and lights in the scene you want to merge, highlight the objects you want then select "Ok"

In Max 09 its the same but you must search for "merge" in "File" not import.
Message 4 of 15
CAMedeck

If you want to keep them separate for editing purposes, you can always xref in the different elements. Xref objects lets you bring in only what you want, move the different pieces around, and add modifiers and materials. Xref Scene brings in all objects from a file and does not allow any editing in the current scene.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

thanks. that helped out alot! Do you work on games at all?
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

As a Hobbyist :)
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Well, may I ask you another question? I'm workin on my first 3d game for XBOX Live Arcade using XNA. How do I prepare a model with an animation for a game? How do I export the animation information? Do you know?
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

As a matter of fact I do have some experience with exporting a character to XNA. I'm currently using the XNAnimation library (Depending on which version of the XNA Game Studio you have you may need to recompile this library). Once you have a model rigged and animated, you will need to export the model with all of the skinning as well as the full bone structure as a .x (the DirectX format) or .FBX (The autodesk format). Then import your model assets into XNA Game Studio. Then use the XNAnimation library to render and animate your model.

Of course my above blurb is a dramatic oversimplification of the process. Here is the link for the XNAnimation site:

http://www.codeplex.com/xnanimation

There's isn't a terrible amount of documentation unfortunately. Most of my knowledge came from looking thru the source code. There's also a good sample of coding the animations on the creator's club site (I believe it's under Education somewhere). Hope that helps.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

This information'll do fine, thanks. What games have you worked on?
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Like I said, I'm just a hobbyist at the moment. The only game that I've worked on is the one I'm currently working on which is still a WIP. 😛
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I can't figure out how to save animations to even import into XNAnimation. I've heard the term "take001" in passing somewhere... How do I save "takes"?
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

BTW, I'm using Max8 and created my bones using "Skin" modifier, not "Physique". All the tutorials I've come across show how to do my last question, using physique.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

What is the name of the game, so i could download it when your done with it?
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I have had success with using Biped and Max bones in exporting a model with animation, I was also in the process of using PuppetShop to do the same but didn't get a chance to finish. I now have a character rigged using CAT which I plan to export sometime in the near future. The reason for this is as you mentioned, it's far from obvious where to name the animations like "take 001". I learned thru just trial and error (and actually looking at the .FBX file that's produced) that the "take 001" is the default name of your animation upon export. I was looking to PuppetShop and now CAT (Both of these are fantastic by the way) as both have a very robust animation tools that allows you to name your animations (as well as a laundry list of other nice features). I have yet to confirm when a model exported with a PuppetShop or CAT rig will retain the animations with their corresponding names. I will let you know once I get a chance to look at the FBX output.

The XNAnimation library also has the nice feature to take your model with the default "take 001" animation and configure different animation segments. For instance you can specify that from frame 20 to frame 140 is you walk cycle, frame 141-175 is your crouching animation, frame 176-210 is your jumping animation, and so forth. In the sample models that came with the XNAnimation library, you will find that the Marine model has it's animations named properly while the alien model has just one "take 001" animation with an accompanying XML configuration file that specifies the animation segments. If you are familiar with XML, it's fairly straight forward to figure out the config file.

I'll do a write-up of the process of exporting your model and animating it in XNAnimation hopefully before the weekend. I'll need a bit of time as it has been a couple months since I worked on my XNA engine. And my day job is imposing a new deadline.. I need some way to afford the hefty subscription fee :)
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

haha...cool. Well thanks for all your help. I'll prolly figure it out anyways. I keep surprising myself and answering most of my questions before getting a response. But this one is still haunting me. Right now,we have a stiff static model walking, around. We need animations. lol

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report