Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to I separate this geometry into two "separate objects" ???

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JohnLancaster
34664 Views, 4 Replies

how to I separate this geometry into two "separate objects" ???

I've got this chest I'm working on, and I want to separate the top from the bottom, should be obvious from where. It has an extruded inside as well with an edge in the same relitive place for seperation. 

I'm kind of new to maya, so I'm not sure how to separate it into the two peices I need. Could I get some detailed instuction?

maya chest.png

Also, later I'm planning on subdividing it to get smoother edges where it counts. I'm guessing I'd add edge loops where they'd be needed to preserve the general shape of the object and then just subdivide from there, right?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: JohnLancaster

for 2015 ...Select the faces for the chest lid Mesh>Extract , the default option is set to separate the faces into a new object ....this is a basic modeling function you should make a button on the shelf with Control Shift.

There's also the Mesh>Separate but this one is for combined ojects that form one mesh and you want to separate them.

Then you can move the pivot to the side of the lid so it will hinge from there.

Yes you can add edge loops to make it good for subdivision or just crease the edges with the crease tool.

Good topology is a good practice here.

Best.

Message 3 of 5
JohnLancaster
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

AWESOME help! I benefitted as well...Thank you, truly:)) 

Message 5 of 5
GabrielaGasulla

I found "Extract" on Edit mesh instead. Anyway, it worked perfectly for me 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report