Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When creating CV Curves, first few points dont show up

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Rafficgi
1648 Views, 8 Replies

When creating CV Curves, first few points dont show up

When im creating CV curves, with whatever setting 1 throught 7, the points used to create that first curve are not visible.

For example when using the default setting 3 (Cubic), the points i create will not show up until i create the 4th point, every point created afterwards in the same cv curve, including the first 3 points, are then visible.

The computer i use Maya on runs Windows 7 and has a GeForce GTX 570M graphic card

I've read a couple of other forum posts, and looked up all potential settings that could have caused the problem, like the Renderer display mode (which was always set on default), and the graphic card (which i updated, but still didnt help solve the problem)

The driver i've just installed is: GeForce 337.88 Driver

Any help would be appreciated, because as a newbie just learning maya, this is quite a snag for me, since it gets quite confusing and bothersome, especially when building multiple objects in one scene

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tdHendrix
in reply to: Rafficgi

When creating a CV curve it's normal that the first 3 CVs don't show up until you put the fourth CV down.

If you need to see the first CVs then you can use the EP Curve tool instead 🙂

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 9
Rafficgi
in reply to: tdHendrix

ahh cheers, if you know, could you explain me why they made it so you dont see the first few points?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
halfstone

I respectfully disagree with this - you don't see the CURVE until you place the fourth CV because you need four to create a degree 3 curve - but you've always been able to see the CVs.  I've noticed that on some computers I can see them and others I cannot - but you need to see the first three so you can snap them to the grid or a curve ... I think this is a graphics card/driver issue.  

Message 5 of 9
tdHendrix
in reply to: halfstone

Yea, that's true. You should be able to see where you're placing the first 3 CVs. I was thinking you meant you couldn't see the CV curve in your scene until you placed the fourth CV.

Message 6 of 9
halfstone

I figured that's how you read that...but that still begs the question...where are those CVs?
Message 7 of 9
tdHendrix

If it's not a video card issue the only thing I can think of is that in the Show menu of the viewport menu if you uncheck NURBS Curves and NURBS CVs then the initial 3 CVs won't show up. Try going to the Show menu and click None to turn everything off and then click All to turn everything back on again. Other than that I don't know what else would cause them to not show up.

Message 8 of 9
halfstone
in reply to: tdHendrix

I've replaced my graphics card (for a number of reasons, not just this), and the problem no longer exists.  

To be honest, I don't recall the circumstances or the configuration under which it happened before, only that I noticed it.  I teach, so it may have been on one of the University computers, it may have been on my laptop, it may have been on my workstation at home (with the new graphics card).  I didn't pay too much attention to it when it happened, only when it was brought up here - so I can't offer any kind of detail.  

Message 9 of 9
tdHendrix

At work we use Maya 2015 on Mac OSX and I can see the first 3 CVs, but at home I'm using Maya 2014 on Win7 with a nvidia quadro k2000m video card and can't see the first 3 CVs.

I deleted userPrefs.mel and it still does it so it's not an option somewhere in preferences causing it. Also updated the video card drivers yesterday but they still don't show up.

I didn't even notice the first 3 CVs not showing up til this thread came up 🙂 I tried everything I could think of to fix it. Must be a graphics card thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report