Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing Seam Roof

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
njisa
554 Views, 2 Replies

Standing Seam Roof

Has anyone modeled a standing seam roof? I am importing 3d models that have already been created. They currently have flat roofs. I am trying to turn them into a standing seam metal roof. Ive tried just using a material with a bump map but Im not happy with the results. Is there a good way to model this? Ive tried drawing lines and adding a sweep modifier, but this is very time consuming. I thought I could just use a plane and than extrude polygons but when I shape the plane to the shape of the roof the shape of the polygons gets messed up. Im fairly new to this so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: njisa

Here is how I do it...do this for each roof area (eg a simple gable will have 2 of these):
- draw the profile of one sheet as a spline
- rotate to align with the roof slope
- copy the spline until you cover more than the width of the roof area (ie overlap)
- attach them all
- extrude the spline to cover more than the roof area
- draw a "cookie cutter" shape to the outline of the roof area
- rotate the cutter to be aligned and move the vertices using Parent coords, so it exactly covers the roof area
- extrude the cutter
- boolean/intersect the 2 objects
Message 3 of 3
adamk
in reply to: njisa

Or you can use slice plane to cut perpendicular edges every 6" or 12 or 24". The 'slicer' script does this for you.

Grab those edges and 'extrude'.

Which ever method you think is easier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report