Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting edgeloops - polygonal modeling tutorial...

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
SS_Architect
525 Views, 3 Replies

Selecting edgeloops - polygonal modeling tutorial...

Hi, I am currently going through the Maya 2014 tutorial and I am working on the Helmet lesson. I am in the "Selecting Edge Loops" Section and its showing me that the helmet has rows that are not straight and I need to straghten these by snapping them to grid. When I follow the steps, I get to the selection part, and it isn't an individual row selection, it selects the entire helmet. 

Screenshot Helmets

How do I prevent this from selecting and modifying more than one section of the helmet?
I also had the same issue with CV's in the previous "Temple Lesson". 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: SS_Architect

You have soft selection enable by accident, you see the vertices have a red and yellow coloring to them, go to the Tool setting and click restore default.

look under that window and you will find the Soft selection box, you can uncheck there too to disable the feature.

Is Off by default but sometimes one can enable that by mistake.

This feature is very handy to move a large area of the mesh evenly with a falloff.

Give it a go.

Message 3 of 4
SS_Architect
in reply to: damaggio

You made my frustration flee. Thank you. I have encountered another problem that I hope you can solve. I am trying to straighten out these edge loops and when I snap to grid, the helmet vacuums to the center. Before and after:

Screenshot Helmet

How must I avoid this? 
Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: SS_Architect

You can't select an entire edge and snap to the grid like that because is no longer a flat object and has width and height now, you can straighten the edge from the top view by simply  using the scale tool pulling the X edge complitely flat, remember that these operations work on Edges, Vertex and faces, you can also use lattices under Create Deformers.... and remember to keep deleting history.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report