Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select faces problem and black back to faces?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bobbythebuilder
1187 Views, 6 Replies

Select faces problem and black back to faces?

I clicked on one of those faces but it seems to count as one face as it selects the whole row also the tutor's inside/outside faces are not black like mine are is this related? How do I fix this I want to select the faces I want to select - http://i.imgur.com/dQLcwxH.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

even if your normals are not flipped, according to the black backfaces it´s the same solution like here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Modeling/Dublicating-Instances-Problems/m-p/5026008#M8627

for the face selection problem: hard to tell from the screenshot. with just a single click it should just select a single face and from your HUD it looks like it does. so i guess there is something wrong (doubled faces) in your model. can you upload the file?

Message 3 of 7

Here you go this is the file

Message 4 of 7

huh I just tried re creating it all in maya 2014 instead of 2015 and it doesn't have the same faces issue maybe I found a glitch or something

Message 5 of 7

hey,

to be honest no there is no glitch. i dont know how but at one point you duplicated the faces or did an extrude with no thickness by accident. so by checking for nonmanifold geometry and seperating it i found a second hallway.

doubleGeo.jpg

but glad you managed it in the mean time. repetition is good training:)

Message 6 of 7

Oh thanks but how do I fix this exactly I'm a supernoob and I'm starting to just learning Maya. Also I extruded the hallways from the edges around those two door frames and I meant for it to be a single plane is that bad or something?

Message 7 of 7

hard to tell without watching you doing it. in general it´s ok working that way (extruding edges, faces etc.) but mistakes can happen - thats how we learn;)

what i did to seperate it was to select the object and do a "mesh - cleanup" with the following options.

cleanup.jpg

this will highlight and split some verts. switch back to object mode and do a "mesh - seperate". now sort the different parts and move away or delete the ones you don´t need. select the remaining parts and glue them back together with a "mesh - combine" and after that an "edit mesh - merge components" with a low threshold.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report