Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling weirdness, OBJ vs. FBX

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BvC_Prod
943 Views, 4 Replies

Scaling weirdness, OBJ vs. FBX

I posted this issue under General, no bites, perhaps someone here can throw me a boneSmiley Frustrated I'm working with textured meshes generated from photos using Recap Photo, noticed how the same quality setting output to obj drops into Maya at scale 1, pos and rot all zeroed, same mesh output to fbx drops into Maya at scale 100, rot -90, -90, 0. Anybody have a clue why and if there's a way to keep scale at 1, no change to rotation?

This behavior presents a vexing problem for me working just with fbx, which I need to bring cameras along with the mesh for later use in projection mapping. Mesh 1.fbx imports to Maya, my method for establishing a common scale and coordinate system between all meshes for later assembly calls on me to use the transform for a vertice located at a common point of interest between mesh 1 in Maya and mesh 2 ready to build in Recap Photo. I copy/paste the x, y, z values over from Maya for each of 4 common points of interest and relate them to the same camera in mesh 2 in Recap Photo. Because the fbx comes in at scale 100, that scale is propagated back to Recap Photo, which in outputting the next fbx scales it another 100x, so now we're really 1000x the (arbitrary) original. If I scale mesh 2 in Maya back from 100 to 1, rotation from -90 back to 0 on X and Y, then cool, the two meshes are nicely aligned in the same scale. Problem is by scaling and rotating the mesh and not the parent group node, the cameras don't follow, and if I try scaling and rotating instead the parent group node, i.e. scale 1 to .01 and offsetting rotation -90 (also tried +90), I can never manage to find the mesh, which is surely there, simply outside the clipping range of the perspective camera, another thing that I can't seem to manage with these huge meshes. Did I mention I'm a newb? Thanks in advance.

Benjy

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
daytonpa
in reply to: BvC_Prod

Sorry for this inconvenience, but can you post some screenshots of your issue?  It'll be easier to see what's going on.

Also within my own experience with Maya, I've had much more success with .obj files than .fbx

Message 3 of 5
BvC_Prod
in reply to: daytonpa

Hiya, you see the highlighted mesh through the hole in the one that's textured, that selected mesh was used to propagate scale/coordinate system to ReCap in making the second one, and it's already been scaled back at the parent group node from 1 to .01. The humungo mesh has also been scaled back at the parent group node 1 to .01, I'd have to scale again to .0001, if Maya even allowed that.

I wrote Mitko about this and other issues with ReCap loosing or mixing up registration points, with no way to delete, move, or locate these once a project is resubmitted. He tells me developers at Autodesk are well aware of the various glitches, which seem more related to Autodesk360, not ReCap, that there'll be a new site for ReCap Photo all to itself in a week or so. How I pray that grass is greener, looking forward.

BTW, I've been working with Tanja and Ronald Poelman too, Autodesk sponsorship for large scale virtual cave project, I'm eager to make any relationship I can there, so it's good to be in touch with you. What is your role, are you on the ReCap team specifically or into other AD360 items?

Thanks,
Benjy

??????????????????????????????
Benjamin von Cramon

http://www.bvcproductions.com

home studio 678.560.1805
cell 678.283.2557

2266 Old Sewell Road
Marietta, GA 30068-3451
Message 4 of 5
daytonpa
in reply to: BvC_Prod

If you're trying to manipulate your mesh's scale or rotation without affecting the other attributes, then you can lock the attributes in the Attributes menu by Left-Mouse clicking the attribute and selecting "Lock".

However I don't really know what the issue is because I don't have a file to see or screenshots.  'Tis all quite confusing.  Also I'm just someone who has used Autodesk Maya for awhile.  I'm a student at MSU and tinker around with Maya in my free time.  

Message 5 of 5
BvC_Prod
in reply to: daytonpa

Sorry for the confusion, I'm quite new to Maya and ReCap Photo, so still learning the language. BTW, I have to ride with fbx because I need all the cameras for projection mapping in cleaning up the textures. CAD programs like Autocad and Revit support like 7-8 decimal places being for engineering and architecture, which is why ReCap has to scale the meshes up 100 (also adds rotation), so whenever I propagate a scale and coordinate system from one mesh in Maya to a new one being built in ReCap, when that mesh comes back down to Maya, it's now 100 times the scale of its neighbor, so each time I scale back down 1.0 to .01 on the parent node, since I need to scale the cameras with the mesh (they're grouped). The problem I was writing in about is when I go to resubmit an rcp project in ReCap, for some reason it's scaling another 100 on top of the first time 100, so now 1000, no recovery from that.

I'm now learning that AD360 is the culprit for this and many other glitches, which is why ReCap is now getting its own site, yay. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Benjy

Sent from my iPad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report