Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part of the Boolean Mesh Dissapears

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
LastTouchStudios
363 Views, 3 Replies

Part of the Boolean Mesh Dissapears

Hello eveyone,

I have a very puzzeling problem which I dont under stand why its happening. I'm attaching part of my mesh with another useing the Boolean Tool. When I do this part of the mesh I'm useing dissapears when it shouldn't. How do I fix this??

Before Boolean (showing the two parts)

Before Boolean

After Boolean (look at the railcars far left side its gone)

After Boolean

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PROH
in reply to: LastTouchStudios

Hi. Boolean operations has never been Max's strong side. The more complex the mesh, the higher risk that something goes wrong - as in your case. Exactly why, or what's causing it, is impossible to say without studying the model, and even then there might not be an answer. But... if all you're doing is attaching, then why not simply use the "attach" found in the mesh/poly editor?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 4
Pyro777
in reply to: LastTouchStudios

Very true....use attach for something like that.

However, you can try to track down the problem by adding an STL checker modifier on your geometry. I bet you have some open edges or verts that need welding or something of the sort.

Get it down to zero errors and i bet it works perfect.

BTW, ProBoolean might work better for you.

Dean

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 4 of 4

Well for what Im doing everything has to be all part of the mesh so. The problem I found out was it just doesn't like editable Polys hahah. Converted it to editable mesh and tried again and it worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report