Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal map problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
xalvor
2728 Views, 6 Replies

Normal map problem

So I created a low poly in maya, sent it to Mudbox to make it nice and to texture it. I extracted  the displacement map and the normalmap. When I load the normalmap, the model appears to have patterns on it which aren't seen on the normalmap. Also, bumps outward are being rendered as bumps inward, and vice versa.

I attached the normalmap and an image of the issue.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
skyyfi2
in reply to: xalvor

it could be the normal map has issues or the setting in mudbox when you exported the normals was not set correctly or the hypershader material settings. 

could you upload the project file? could be a number of things. 

Message 3 of 7
xalvor
in reply to: skyyfi2

Okay I've uploaded the project file. The textures are too large to upload here.

Message 4 of 7
skyyfi2

ok so i downloaded your project file and then i downloaded the normal map from your orginal post and notice that the resolution of the normal map was at 695x692. when you zoom onto the normal map with windows photo veiwer you can see pixelation/noise (noise from mudbox) in the map that maya is picking up. the pixelation/noise in photo match the odd bumps within maya. i tried using crazy bump to fix with no luck. so the normal map will have to be re-done at a higher resolution or with a cleaner geometry.

try 1024x1024 and see what you get. 

Message 5 of 7
xalvor
in reply to: skyyfi2

Okay, when I was waiting for a response on my first post, I actually tried to make the bumpmap bigger/add more bit to it. I zoomed in and saw the same pattern on it, so it didn't really help.

Edit: I extracted a png 2048x2048 8 bit 2x antialiasing normal map, and still the same result (the weird grid when I zoom in)

Message 6 of 7
Maxya

normal map → bmup2d node → set the "use as" to "Tangent Space Normals"

It seems fine to me

Message 7 of 7
xalvor
in reply to: Maxya

That did the trick! Thanks :D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report