Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NURBS problem in spaceship project, need quick help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
228 Views, 4 Replies

NURBS problem in spaceship project, need quick help.

I'm new to NURBS and I got this problem with depth on a flat or "very thin" NURBS surface, if I had the original lofting curve I could scale it down and then loft it with the corresponding isoparm but I deleted i so what could I do to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fianna
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Adrian, yeah it would help to see the curve..maybe it needs a few more points. but in the meantime, you can try grabbing one of the surfaces and (Ctrl+a) in the Attribute Editor, check under Tessellation > hit Display Render Tessellation. You will see how the surface is being rendered in the hardware viewport. If you collapse Simple Tessellation Options, change the Curvature Tolerance to "Highest Quality" and increase the U+V divisions factor to 5. It should be more refined. Feel free to further tweak the settings till you're happy with the results.

BUT** once you're done (with all the other surfaces as well), remember to uncheck "Display Render Tessellation" unless you want your computer to be unhappy(ily slow). When you have the Display Render Tess turned off, you'll go back to the normal hardware view...but rest assured those settings that you modified are still there and it'll still render smooth surfaces.

hope that helps.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

OMG thanks a lot, I just inserted isoparms to fix it but that method you mentioned is much easier and faster, btw now I got this new problem as you can see I updated the topic.
Message 4 of 5
fianna

yeah the isoparm thing might not have been the best solution. with the render tessellation, you're not so much physically altering the surface as you've just done. rather you're just telling maya this is how i want it to look when i render.

anyway, if you want to make it more 'closed' on that screenshot up there, you could just grab the isoparm closest to the edge (or trim edge, depending on how that surface has been edited) and go to Edit Curves > Duplicate Surface Curves.

Duplicate the curve and center pivot (Modify > Center Pivot) and scale it inwards a bit and then grab both curves and loft them. OR you could use that same curve (before duplicating) and v-snap a circle curve to one of the edit points and extrude. then you get a fake 'soldering' effect type look. i dont know the technical term for describing that but benefit of that is that you can scale out the circle curve to better cover/fit the gap.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the help, "Duplicate Surface Curves" lol soo obvoius! Can't believe I didn't figure that out by myself 😛

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report