Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Vertices

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
566 Views, 3 Replies

Merging Vertices

I duplicated the other half of the model and now I'm trying to merge the vertices in the center. As I try to merge the vertices using the Merge settings, I found that even when the threshold is set to 0 it still merges the vertices in a weird way.

1.jpg

The first image is the result I get with the threshold set to 0. (I have combined them together).

2.jpg

The second image is what it looks like without it smoothed (So I have no way of realising if they have been merged properly or not -___-)

The third image is the result I get, however I have not merged any vertices. As I try to insert an edge loop, it always stops at the origin (So I know no vertices have been merged automatically).

3.jpg

Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks 🙂

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like it merged okay with the lower setting....Go to to menu bar Display and look for Heads up Display and check mark Poly Count.

That will give you on the Left upper corner a visual count of vertices , faces edges etc... this is very helpful speacially in this situation to make sure vertices were merved into one.

It will stay open like this from now own if you close maya, this will be saved in the preferences and will return everytime you open Maya.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks for getting back to me. I've checked the marked poly count and it's very weird. The center vertice (the one that's not displaying properly smoothed), is the only one that says it has one vertice.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

For any other vertice, the statistics show that it I have two vertices selected, but when it's smoothed it looks perfectly fine. The one vertice in the center (which I thought was only meant to be a single vert) is the one that's not displaying correctly. When I use 3ds Max, I'm easily able to solve this issue and it clearly lets you know how many vertices have been selected. However with Maya I've realised that each vert has two verts in it when I do a marquee selection over it. If that makes sense? 🙂

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 4
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

In that case then you might have multiple vertices on top of each other, I would recomment selecting all vertices in the model , do a merge with a lower setting and keep an eye on the Display Count to see if it has been cleaned, its a very simple model you can even count by hand.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report