Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya rotate tool issue

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
kcbrink1054
10985 Views, 15 Replies

Maya rotate tool issue

Hey all, I was wondering if somebody could help me with a problem that my Maya has recently started doing a couple days ago. For some odd reason, whenever I try to use my rotate tool, it only rotates my object in the X axis. Whenever I try to rotate it in the Y or Z axis, it only rotates in the X axis; and also, when I have my object selected with the rotate tool, I cannot deselect it by clicking in the window, it merely drags in the X axis. Thanks in advance for all the help.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Phoenix72
in reply to: kcbrink1054

Have you double clicked on the rotate tool to reveal the tool settings. Have you modified the tool? Try reseting the rotate tools settings as well as make sure snaps are off,

Does this happen in different Maya scenes? Or only in that scene?
Message 3 of 16
kcbrink1054
in reply to: Phoenix72

Hello thanks for the response. Yes I have set all of my preferences to default, and I reset the rotate tool settings. What I do not understand is that I downloaded Maya 2014 and it seems that the problem happens there to, and this issue does not happen with a specific scene, it happens even when I create a new scene and make a simple polygon.
Message 4 of 16
aslisylr

Hi

I am having the same problem too.

It allows me to change the values from channel box but not using the rotate tool. X is fine, but y and z does nothing and neither the general circle for all. I even tried it with new created polygons in a new project but same issue. I have also played with the rotate tool settings but doesn't seem to change anything.

Thanks

Message 5 of 16
tdHendrix
in reply to: aslisylr

The only suggestions I've seen for this type of problem is to delete your userPrefs.mel file and restart Maya or to try and update your video card drivers and see if that fixes it.

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 6 of 16
sweetdaffodil96
in reply to: tdHendrix

hi im having the same problem. and i tried deleting the file but it doesnt seem to fix the rotation problem. any thing else i can try?

Message 7 of 16
wreliford
in reply to: sweetdaffodil96

Do you have bonus tools loaded?
Message 8 of 16
D_man916

Hey bud I'm having the same issues as you are. I have been trying to solve this problem of mine for probably a year. It even happens with the new 2016 Maya. Every time I find a thread that starts solving this problem the trail goes cold like on your's and my thread. Since you posted this over a year ago have you found a solution to this yet? 

Message 9 of 16
D_man916

So I think I figured out our problem. I spent the past couple days installing updates to my graphics card and after hours of updating I finally just installed the final update. After I finished it I opened Maya up and it is at last working correctly. I think that could be the solution to your problem too. Hope this helps!

Message 10 of 16
Twistedangel2892
in reply to: D_man916

My graphics card is already current version. I don't know what else I can do!

Message 11 of 16
a.ceglia
in reply to: Twistedangel2892

I started having the same issue, almost certainly do to a graphics driver update.  Go into your Maya preferences, and under Display, change your Rendering Engine to something else.  For Maya 2016, I had to change mine to OpenGL Core Profile to fix the issue.  DirectX 11 and OpenGL did not work for me.  In Maya 2018, I think there are different options.  Play around with the settings and see if there's one that works for you.

Message 12 of 16
luxtrickz27
in reply to: a.ceglia

Thanks guys it's working 

Message 13 of 16
brewerdcc
in reply to: luxtrickz27

How did you resolve the issue?

Message 14 of 16
lovepreet229

Go to preferences>display and then change the rendering engine OpenGL to OpenGL Core Profile. It will work.

Message 15 of 16
Heikevp
in reply to: lovepreet229

Thank you so much! I had all the same issues and this worked.

Message 16 of 16
lovepreet229
in reply to: Heikevp

Not a problem 😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report