Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 - Opensubdiv - Creased edges

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3241 Views, 3 Replies

Maya 2015 - Opensubdiv - Creased edges

Hello,

With Maya 2015 i'm trying to understand how Opensubdiv works and i've just got an issue concerning the creased edges.

I like to replicate the setting done in the following video at 26min16 made by Pixar :

The end results in the video are :

hard_edges_opensubdiv_video.png

First cube : the rounded edges are done with additonal edge loop
Second cube : the rounded edges are done with creasing edge tool

Here is the look of my second cube with strange edge render compare to the first cube :

hard_edges_opensubdiv_1.png

Could you tell me wha'ts wrong with my settings please :

Creasing edge tool : 3
Subdivision : 2

i've tried to get higher with subdivision but in the video it seems that this setting is set low

Thank you for your help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've tried to bump the subdivision to 6 and the result is good compare to the first cube. But like i said in the video he's using a level 3 subdivision only.

Any idea ?

🙂

Message 3 of 4
cobranailnew
in reply to: Anonymous

It seems relate to edge crease value.

If crease value is higher than subdivsion value,  the edge will be a hard edge,  otherwish it will be a smooth edge.

Just use the crease tool set the edge crease value lower than 3,  for example it can be set to 2.2,  then set the subdivsion to 3 or 4,  it will be style which the video shows.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cobranailnew

go to the shape tab of your cube.  Under smooth mesh make sure the preview division level is set to 4 ( to match the vewport look in the video) hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report