Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Chamfering Intersection/Inside corners

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mdeezy
3503 Views, 4 Replies

Issue with Chamfering Intersection/Inside corners

Hi all, I'm trying to chamfer all the edges of s simple "T" shape spline.

I first extruded the spline the selected the edges and then the chamfer tool.

Two of the inside corners chamfered correctly while the other two have distorted/uneven geometry.

I know I can slice the object and use symmetry modifiers to mirror the correct chamfered edge, but I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks to get these inside corners to chamfer correctly.

I have used different methods to create the "T" shape and the results are completely random, sometimes two corners are correct but diametrically opposite to one another, or sometimes one out of four corners chamfers correctly.

I kind of understand what is happening but i dont know why or how to prevent it. Any Help would be appreciated thanks.

Below are some images or the issue, sorry they are so big, the Rich text editor would not let me link them re-sized

Correct chamfer:

Distorted corners:

Uneven chamfer edges:

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blakestone
in reply to: mdeezy

There is no easy way to do this other than to do what you've already done then correct the affected areas. There are third-party scripts available which are apparently quite good:

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-chamfer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: mdeezy

http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests/suggestions/1493505-quad-ch...

From that you may gather there is considerable dissatisfaction with the existing Chamfer tool. I would suggest that rather than trying to fight it, you do what you already suggested and Slice > Delete the bad half > Symmetry.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 5
Arterus
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I have this sort of problem with chamfer over and over... I hate the tool! It always ends in frustration and not being able to complete a model the way I wan't to; often having to restart and re-think from scratch! 

So my question would be.. What are the workarounds? Chamfer is about the most 'needed' tool in Max modelling, so how does everyone else figure out how to shape and reshape their models so they don't have sharp edges?

My 2 cents

Art.

Hardware:
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz
16 GB Ram - ATI Radeon 6800
Software:
Windows 7 64bit
3DMax 2012
Message 5 of 5
mdeezy
in reply to: Arterus

Thanks for all of your input guys, you have confirmed my suspicions in regards to the behavior of the chamfer tool.

It seems weird that AD would not improve a highly used and useful tool to produce consistent results, but then again I expected the Parray bug to get fixed in 2012 and that never happened either 😕

again thanks for the quick and helpful responses, Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report