Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert edge loop tool problems...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
pablolopez0001
2661 Views, 11 Replies

Insert edge loop tool problems...

Hi, I am quite new to modelling in Maya so this problem will probably have a very easy answer: When I try to insert an edge loop on a door frame that I made instead of a clean straight line like will all my other loops it goes diagonal and out of shape. (I have inserted an attachment so you can see what I mean.) How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

maya problems.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sbruno
in reply to: pablolopez0001

I'm having sort of the exact same issue. I inserted these edges *multiple of 5* with the insert edge loop tool. I'd like to have these line straightened out as opposed to following the lateral edges.

Please help!!!!

So essentially I want these edges to be straight along the world grid instead of the object.

mayahelp.png

Message 3 of 12
pablolopez0001
in reply to: sbruno

Were you using Maya 2015, maybe it's a problem with that?

Message 4 of 12
sbruno
in reply to: pablolopez0001

Using maya 2014...

Message 5 of 12
pablolopez0001
in reply to: sbruno

Hmm, that's weird then, I hope someone knows what the problem is!

Message 6 of 12

I got a reply on another forum, I'm seeing if it works now, try it for yours!

http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40479

Message 7 of 12

@sbruno: what you seeing is the normal and expected behaviour. by default maya averages between the loops around. you can try to set your insert edge tool to "equal distance from edge" and start inserting from the most left straigt edge, hold lmb and drag the loop to the right.

@pablolopez0001: from the image here and the images you posted at simplyMaya i´d say there is something wrong with your geometry. can you upload your file here? hard to tell just by the pictures!

Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the reply, how do I go about attaching a .mb file? It doesn't seem to allow the file type!

Message 9 of 12

a zip file should work.
Message 10 of 12

Here's the file! 

Message 11 of 12

your problem is the face inside your geo. selected in the screenshot which creates nonmanifold geometry (in this case edges with a connection to more than 2 faces!). deleting it should solve your issue.

nonmanifold.jpg

Message 12 of 12

Thank you so much, it's finally fixed!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report