Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing model from Inventor as quad mesh

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
snyder275
2796 Views, 7 Replies

Importing model from Inventor as quad mesh

Sorry in advance if this isn't the right section to post vs the General area.

I have been trying to import a model from Inventor Professional 2014 into 3ds Max Design 2014.

My goal is the end result being a single, complete (connected) mesh composed of quads. I need to be able to convert it to an Editable Poly so I can use modifiers such as Slice and Cap Holes on the imported part.

Importing the .ipt file as a mesh results in disconnected sections throughout the model. As a simple example, if I created a tube/cylinder in Inventor, once imported into Max the inner diameter, outer diameter and ends of the pipe are all seperate, triangulated meshes. I can convert the mesh into an Editable Poly, select all polys and Quadrify All to make the mesh into quads but it is never a clean result and the elements are still seperated which would require vertex welding to fix. The models I am importing contain much higher detail than a simple tube and welding all the vertices would be too time consuming. 

The closest I've come to having a mesh in Max that is one complete piece is using an STL format for import but the poly mesh is still really ugly. I've tried STEP, IGES, even an FBX from Showcase but still haven't found a method that works. If anyone has experience or a proven work flow to avoid triangulated meshes that import as complete/connected/welded etc. surfaces I would be forever grateful. 

I've attached a crappy, simple example of my dilema. The models I'm actually dealing with are similar in that they are cylindrical (piping) but contain extrusions, slots, bevels, etc. 

SUMMARY: I need a method to import a model from Inventor into Max with the end result being a single poly mesh, non-triangulated, with elements that are NOT seperate. In short, an Editable Poly for use with modifiers. 

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ekahennequet
in reply to: snyder275

I don't work with Inventor models, so I am not familiar with the export/import process of IPT files. May I ask why it's unrealistic to weld vertices in the high-res version? I don't know how many open edges you have in your high-detailed version, but you could apply the Vertex Weld modifier below the Cap Holes modifier and adjust the threshold. You can also achieve the same by selecting all vertices and Weld by adjusting the threshold via Weld settings caddy.

Edit: Other ways to find open edges is by going to sub-object mode Border and select all. While the open edges are selected, click Ctrl+Sub-Obj mode Vertex to select the vertices associated with them.

p.s. Nice pic of the crying dude in your attachment. 🙂

Message 3 of 8
snyder275
in reply to: ekahennequet

Ekah I swear I could kiss you right now...Vertex Weld mod was it! I had been trying with the border sub-obj>ctrl+vert sub-obj>Weld caddy thinking that I would have to use different thresholds for different areas otherwise I'd have verts welding/collapsing where I didn't want them. Since I had tons of open edges (100's on some models) it made the whole idea of welding numerous sections of verts pretty tedious. 

Obviously I have some modifiers I totally overlook after not using for months/years. Thanks a lot for the insight, much appreciated. 

Message 4 of 8
ekahennequet
in reply to: snyder275

I'm glad it helped. 🙂

Cheers.

Message 5 of 8
Arcathorn

I am going to give this a try myself. I am trying to get a model from inventor...to mudbox with 3ds max being the middle man. Tricky.....I get a lot of vertices and errors when I have tried it so im hoping this trick will let me clean up the model so I can apply some texture to it...and no displace modifier is not an option right now....been trying that with the help of another person on the forums and no luck thus far.

Message 6 of 8
ekahennequet
in reply to: Arcathorn

Hi @Arcathorn. In your case, maybe you could use another method to clean up your model. See this thread where the poster had trouble with rendering imported Inventor model.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Shading-Lighting-and-Rendering/Problem-to-render-body-object/td-p/5015...

Message 7 of 8
Arcathorn

Still no luck.

Heres the issue. I have a ring base........Its going to be made using 3D printing........I am an inventor modeler and I create the base in inventor and it has some very specific geometry about it so that it can interact with other components, and yes I will admit I have VERY little experience in max thus far.

I need to apply a hammered texture to the exterior of the base. This texture I can do in inventor however its a MASSIVE drain on resources as inventor was not really designed for this type of work.

I have exported the model into max where it appears with no issue. I can even change it to a quad based object and editable poly. This is the real trick........

1. I don't know how to apply the hammered metal texture in max. I have tried a few modifiers but all it seems to do is cause the rings geometry to explode.

2. I have changed it to a quad based mesh...turbo smoothed it...and applied a cyliner UV map to it. However when you bring it into Mudbox to put the texture on it comes up with all sorts of errors. When you retopologize it either it fails or parts of the model are really broken.

3. I don't care about bringing it into mudbox other than I know how to texture it in mudbox. I'll happily do it in max but I don't know how. I am attaching a JPG of the base and the texture I am going for. Also I will happily let someone else take a crack at it as long as they then tell me how to do it again...because I have to do this for multiple sizes and some other designs we are working on.

4. Don't tell me "Redo it Max"............The other model is parametric and has multiple parts that work with it and redoing it in max is not an option right now. 5. Please help!! I have a client waiting on this and its 2 weeks over do because I can't get this stupid texture on.

Arcathorn

Message 8 of 8
ekahennequet
in reply to: Arcathorn

@Arcathorn wrote:

Still no luck.

Heres the issue. I have a ring base........Its going to be made using 3D printing........I am an inventor modeler and I create the base in inventor and it has some very specific geometry about it so that it can interact with other components, and yes I will admit I have VERY little experience in max thus far.

I need to apply a hammered texture to the exterior of the base. This texture I can do in inventor however its a MASSIVE drain on resources as inventor was not really designed for this type of work.

I have exported the model into max where it appears with no issue. I can even change it to a quad based object and editable poly. This is the real trick........

1. I don't know how to apply the hammered metal texture in max. I have tried a few modifiers but all it seems to do is cause the rings geometry to explode.

2. I have changed it to a quad based mesh...turbo smoothed it...and applied a cyliner UV map to it. However when you bring it into Mudbox to put the texture on it comes up with all sorts of errors. When you retopologize it either it fails or parts of the model are really broken.

3. I don't care about bringing it into mudbox other than I know how to texture it in mudbox. I'll happily do it in max but I don't know how. I am attaching a JPG of the base and the texture I am going for. Also I will happily let someone else take a crack at it as long as they then tell me how to do it again...because I have to do this for multiple sizes and some other designs we are working on.

4. Don't tell me "Redo it Max"............The other model is parametric and has multiple parts that work with it and redoing it in max is not an option right now. 5. Please help!! I have a client waiting on this and its 2 weeks over do because I can't get this stupid texture on.

Arcathorn

To be able to successfully use displacement in Max or stamp textures in Mudbox, you need a model that is properly UV mapped since both cases depend on using textures. I would much rather you re-create it in Max even though you don't want to hear it, but I don't know if you have the time to get around to learning what's needed. Your model isn't that complicated if you are familiar with poly modeling in Max. You don't need such high resolution model as a base. You can Meshmooth in Max or Subdivide in Mudbox easily, so you do not need a high-res version for export. The resolution shown in the pic posted by the original poster of this thread is optimal. See attached pic for manageable resolution. I drew red lines over your pic roughly indicating what your model should look like. This post also shows models with optimal resolution. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Modeling/newbie-question-basic-edge-tightening/m-p/5050024

So, based on your lack of time to learn the necessary tools, I recommend that you do not Turbosmooth your model before exporting it to Mudbox. Use Turbosmooth to check for integrity of the model, but not as a final model for export. Try to fix the model at its lowest resolution possible while keeping them in quads. Weld vertices where necessary and use sub-obj Border mode to see if you have open edges. Use STL Check modifier and xView (right-click + sign in Viewport label) for errors. The mesh in your screen grab would be a nightmare to edit or UV map.

For UV Mapping, you can't use cylindrical mapping for your entire model. You can use cylindrical mapping for the cylindrical area of your ring, but the protruding parts need to be box mapped or Planar mapped for the flat sides. You will have UV seams where the protrusion starts and at least some edges of the boxy edges (imagine unfolding a paper carton). You unwrap your UVs on the low resolution model. You can subdivide the mesh, and it will retain the UV info. I don't know how familiar you are with UVW Unwrap, but you should use it to properly UV map your model. If not properly UV mapped, and even if your model is clean, stamping textures in Mudbox will yield unpredicatable results.

UV Unwrapping

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnKw1txyYzRlVrCjLUCrJOvdxj5h2YZJB

If all of the above is still too much, you might want to look into Meshmixer. It's free from Autodesk and is designed specifically for 3D printing. It has a tool called "SurfaceBrush" which you can use to create displacement textures on your model. But I don't know if you have enough time to familiarize yourself with it given the time you have.

http://meshmixer.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report