Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .3ds with Odd Faces

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
nicole.jones
969 Views, 17 Replies

Importing .3ds with Odd Faces

I'm trying to import .3ds models into Max 2010 Design with some odd results. The 3ds model has a lot of odd unnessary faces. I have a very simple Arch&Design material applied to it. Other materials exhibit the same odd behaviour in the viewports & when rendered.

I've tried adjusting the normals with no effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice about how the original .3ds models are created. I'm stuck working with this format.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers.

Attachment is not working. What it should show is a number of boxes broken up into triangles of black & white. Sorry, not very meaningful without the attachment.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Steve_Curley
in reply to: nicole.jones

Zip the file first (not .rar or any other alternative) then it should attach. Oh, and do NOT preview once you've attached the file - submit immediately.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 18
nicole.jones

Thanks, Steve. It was the previewing the attachment causing the problem. Near impossible to offer any suggestions when no one can see the issue. Thx.
Message 4 of 18
Steve_Curley

Not too easy to diagnose even with it.

Can you zip one of these .3ds files and post it? (copyright permitting, of course). My guess is that it's either a) options when importing, b) options used when originally exported or c) they are just iffy models and you'll have to do some work on them to make them usable.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 18
CAMedeck

It looks like flipped faces, and/or coplanar faces. In Poly mode in the Editable Mesh, theres a checkbox for Show Normals. A blue line will show which direction the normals are facing for any selected polys. Useful to see where there are problems like this. Try it and see how things look.

You might also want to try adding an Edit Mesh, then deleting or moving some faces to check for coplanar surfaces. You can delete the modifier without accidentally screwing up the original mesh.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 18
ekahennequet

Chris and Steve gave good tips in this thread also. Maybe it has something to do with object being too big, too small. or too far away.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/3ds-max-through-2008/very-odd-display-problem-in-vie...

Edit: Chris/Steve, I forget if the scale/unit issue affect rendered images. Perhaps it is because of flipped normals.
Message 7 of 18
Steve_Curley

Looking at the image they do look, as Chris suggested, flipped, rather than the "messy" artifacts you get with coincident polys caused by an incorrect scale.

AFAICR the "artifact" type of problem normally only affects the viewports, not the render. Distance from the origin frequently shows up in the user having difficulty snapping, object flying out of the viewport with the smallest of mouse movements and so on.

Would be useful to have the Max scene and, if possible, the .3ds - that way we should be able to determine the cause of the problem.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 18
nicole.jones

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

After a bit more investigation it seems that the problem only occurs when I'm using an Arch&Design material. Even a Standard material with 2-sided left unchecked works perfectly. Weird?

Unfortunately, I seem to have dozens of Arch&Design materials in my library. Any thoughts on forcing 2-sided rendering on this type of material? It doesn't have any effect when checking "Force 2-sided" in the options within the Render Setup area.

I've also attached the .3ds model in case anyone has any bright ideas on fixing the model itself.

Thx again.

shareit.zip

Message 9 of 18
Steve_Curley

I don't think this is a Material problem, more an issue with the underlying mesh.

I have a feeling I've seen that model, or one very similar, before - with similar problems.

Basically it's not a model - it's a collection of 54 objects which looks like a model.
Import the .3ds into a new, clean scene.
There are 4 Omni lights at the same point in space which is pretty pointless - delete them out of the way.
Viewport Properties, 2 default lights.
Select "scx_shar 1B" which is the the upper left cupboard door and "hide unselected".
Get rid of the material by typing "$.material=undefined" (without the quotes) into the Maxscript Listener.
Object Properties | Backface Cull (on/checked), orbit around the object and you'll see that the object does not become invisible when looking at the backs of the polys. Very strange because you don't even see the black backface rather than nothing (which I think is what you're seeing when originally imported). If you create a normal Plane object, convert to Mesh, Backface Cull, you will see what should happen.
Problem is that pretty much every other face seems to react as if it were flipped, but it isn't, which is why you're seeing black triangles.

Put bluntly, that model is a mess and you'll spend a lot of time trying to fix it. Would be good to see some other opinions before you start shouting at the author of the model though ;-)

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 18
foglevel

I had the same problem, yesterday, while I was working on a vehicle model that was created by someone else. The alternating black and white triangles only appeared on the "side trim" and the "bumpers." The problem turned out to be "co-planer" faces. The trim and bumpers were the exact same size and were stacked on top of each other, occupying the same space. I fixed it by moving each respective car object a very small distance. Both matching and identically shaped peices were a part of the model. I was only able to identify the problem after going into sub-object mode and selecting the "Element" level and then selecting the offending areas. If anybody needs to see a test rendering or screen shots, let me know.
Max 2017
Max 2018
Maya 2018
DELL Precision T7910
RAM 64 GB
Intel Xeon CPU ES-2667 v3 @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro M5000
Message 11 of 18
Steve_Curley

Unfortunately that isn't the case in this instance. If you look at the image above, you can see 2 planes fairly close to each other, but they are not touching. If you select all the vertices (of the visible polys) there are 8, which is correct. For there to be coplanar faces, there would need to be double that number. Try downloading the .3ds and import it yourself - you'll see what I mean.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 12 of 18
foglevel

I see what you mean. I would be mildly interested in knowing which program made this thing and, after that, how it became a ".3DS" file. Attached is a rendering of my coplaner problem from yesterday.

Max 2017
Max 2018
Maya 2018
DELL Precision T7910
RAM 64 GB
NVIDIA Quadro M5000
Message 13 of 18
Steve_Curley

Yes - quite a curious file, isn't it. I'd quite like to how it got into that state too.

Your image didn't make it. Edit your post, attach the image, submit. Do NOT preview.

Coplanar faces certainly can cause triangles to show up, but they normally cause "artifacts" which change as you zoom in/out - they are generally quite distinctive once you know what you're looking for,

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 14 of 18
foglevel

The image depicts the trim on the side of a vehicle. Like you said, when there is any movement with the camera or the object, it puts on a light show.

I had to use "Firefox" to upload the image. Internet Explorer has a problem with "zip" files; but, this is the first time that it has caused me problems with a simple image. I was using IE v.8.
Max 2017
Max 2018
Maya 2018
DELL Precision T7910
RAM 64 GB
NVIDIA Quadro M5000
Message 15 of 18
ekahennequet

Your objects have double faces. I ran Bobo's script, DeleteDoubleFaces, to delete them. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/deletedoublefaces-0 The script works really well on Editable Mesh objects.

1.Run script via Utilities. You should find "DDF" from dropdown menu.
2.Select all of your mesh objects (not lights)
3.Go to Utilities panel and choose "Delete Double Faces" and "Check Selected Meshes". (See attached pic for options used)
4.While objects are still selected, apply Normals modifier and choose Flip Normals. You can then collapse all.

The middle set of meshes in the screenshot has double faces deleted via Bobo's script, but as you can see, the normals are still flipped. Left most set has no flipped normals and no double faces.

double_face_deleted.zip

Message 16 of 18
Steve_Curley

Nice find there Anna - didn't know about that script (sorry Bobo).

Are you saying that there are 2 faces using the same set of vertices ? So 3 vertices but 2 faces? that is weird...

Any idea how that happens or what causes it?
Must be common, or was at some point in time, for Bobo to have created a script to fix it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 17 of 18
ekahennequet

Nice find there Anna - didn't know about that script (sorry Bobo).

It's an old script, but a timeless one. :)

Are you saying that there are 2 faces using the same set of vertices ? So 3 vertices but 2 faces? that is weird...

Any idea how that happens or what causes it?
Must be common, or was at some point in time, for Bobo to have created a script to fix it.

They were double, flipped faces. I don't know how it happens, but I've read in the past that turning on/checking STL import options screw up the normals.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/modeling/unifying-normals/
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/modeling/method-for-flipping-30-of-normals/

I do know that Editable Mesh is problematic precisely for this reason. You couldn't make such an object using Editable Poly because it won't let you even if you tried.

Edit: Other topics similar to this one made references to importing from Sketchup.
Message 18 of 18
Steve_Curley

Oh yes - I've seen some real horror stories here with Sketchup files :shudder:

I'd forgotten about the STL options - and as it was a .3ds being imported I didn't make the connection - well spotted :)

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report