Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't select faces, edges, or vertices!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
45520 Views, 21 Replies

I can't select faces, edges, or vertices!

Hi everybody!
I am completely new in the forum and a complete new user of Maya.
I had the crazy idea of starting to learn the program by myself following some video tutorials,..and it´s not going bad but today something weird is happening and I don´t know what can be the reason.
I am using Maya 2009 and suddenly today I can´t select any face, edge or vertex on a Polygonal object (sorry for my english if there´s any mistake)
It seems the option is not there anymore,..Example...I build a polygonal cube, right click over it, select faces component and then I go to the object and it justdoesn´t select any face,...and the same when I try to select edges or vertices,..
What is wrong???
I would appreciate if someone could help me,..
Thanks in advance!!
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

can you select the object?
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

Hi thank you!!!
Sorry I spend quite a lot of time finding out where my post was,..they have removed it to another folder,..
WEll,..yes I can select the object but when I go to component mode "faces, edges or vertex",..it just doen´t select them,..
It happens the same to me with nurbs objects,..It just doesn´t let me select components,.. Strange because before it worked perfectly!
Thank you for your time mate!
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Hi thank you!!!
Sorry I spend quite a lot of time finding out where my post was,..they have removed it to another discussion folder,..
WEll,..yes I can select the object but when I go to component mode "faces, edges or vertex",..it just doen´t select them,..
It happens the same to me with nurbs objects,..It just doesn´t let me select components,.. Strange because before it worked perfectly!
Thank you for your time mate!
Message 5 of 22
fianna

it's kind of hard to say but maybe if you reset your Move Tool settings, you probably selected something by mistake or pressed some combination of keys which turned out to be hotkey for some function. Hold down the 'w' key and left-mouse-click to select 'Move Options' and you should see "Reset Tool" button, click on that. maybe this can help...
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

HI,..thanks!!!
You now what??,...I did a Hardcore reset!!!,..
I know it has been too drastic but I reseted the program by deleting the preferences folder. I makes maya to make e new preferences folder from scratch when you restart the program,...and with this my headacke went away!!!
I have been reading and I know that doing this I could delete all the projects too,..but I hadn´t much stuff around...so it didn´t matter in my case,...
I really appreciate your help mate!!!
Thanks a lot!!
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

Hi

For the next time instead of reseting maya, make sure the CAPITAL letter button is off.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

I think the #1 reason people seem to experience this is that they've accidentally toggled Soft Selection on. If you get into this mode again, check the Soft Select setting, which spans all of the selection and transform tools. It can be toggled "globally" by hitting the "b" key -- and I suspect this is how many people unwittingly enable it...
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

Hey Thank you all!!!,...This are all very useful advices for the future!!!
It becomes kind of a mess when you start using new software and little things can turn into a hell when you´re not familiar with the program!
I appreciate your time guys!,..
Thank you all again,... I´ll be around
Greetings!
Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

I faced such kind of a problem and solved it by deselecting "camera based selection" option under tool settings in common selection options. Hope this helps if anyone has a similar problem.
Message 11 of 22
a.ionut.lucian

camera based dselection was on...
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

THANK
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! SO HELPFUL
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Solution on the .:: Visibility Panel ::. GoTo -> Unhide All Button (Yellow Lightbulb) This Restores hidden sub-objects to visibility such as hidden Vertices.

Visibility Panel.PNG

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

JUST SIMPLY CLICK "B" ON YOUR KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR SOFT SELECTION IS ON!!!!!!!!!

XD

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 22
SophieStudent

When you can't access component-mode (when you're on object-mode and you right-click to get to face, edge or vertex mode), pressing the b key a few times worked for me!   Thanks to t burbage!

Message 17 of 22
maxfartuhov

The thing might be that the layer your object is in is referenced. Just set selected layers to "Normal"

Message 18 of 22
SophieStudent
in reply to: maxfartuhov

Hi

Thanks for reply! This happened many sleeps ago. Can't remember what caused it TBH, but your suggestion is the most sensible and likely.

Thank you and have a nice weekend
Message 19 of 22
yskhan61

I solved it out by unchecking the "make the selected object live" icon, it is present on that status line , looks like the magnet sign, the last magnet sign on the status line. Yup, I solved it by making that icon off

Message 20 of 22

I had this same issue and realised that I had soft select on. I know this is an old message but just thought I would say in case anyone has the same issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report