Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of yellow dots when doing non manifold geometry cleanup option?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
cheetahboi
3367 Views, 4 Replies

How to get rid of yellow dots when doing non manifold geometry cleanup option?

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with Maya. I am modeling a dash board for my spaceship. I am happy with the overall shape, so when I go in and insert some holding edges, I am getting a weird effect where maya is adding extra lines to my model. I have circle them below. I did some trouble shooting and now I am stuck. When I went to clean up, and nonmanifold option, I get the yellow dots vertices, which is where the error appears. Do anyone know how to solve this? thanks!! I am using the Maya 2014 Student EditionEdgeLoopTool.jpgNonManifoldGeometry_Issues.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: cheetahboi

The Insert edge loop tool option box has an item that says "Fix Quads" When Fix Quads is on, three and five-sided regions produced by the inserted edge loop(s) are automatically split to produce regions that are four-sided. This setting is useful when its critical that you maintain the four-sided integrity of the mesh. The default is off.

You can find Ngons in your mesh to clean up on Select>Select using constraints>All and Next > Nsided....that will show you the trouble spots.

Better in same case to clean by hand...also note that sometimes is okay on Subdivision meshes " key 3 to  leave Ngons on flat surfaces of the mesh but not on curved areas.....but if you wanna keep all clean try to stick to quads only.

To get rid of the yellow vertices be in component mode vertices hold control and deselect those ones...maybe will go away.

Message 3 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: damaggio

the yellow dots appear as result of you cleanup operation with "select matching polygons" checked. if i should bet i´d say you have faces inside your geo which create edges with more than 2 faces (see screenshot) where your marked vertices appear.

faces.jpg

Message 4 of 5
cheetahboi
in reply to: damaggio

Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually it was extra faces hidden inside my model. I feel like an idiot sometimes, something so simple. But the stuff you posted are awesome! THey never taught us about the "Fix Quads" option in Maya at school, I feel like this will be a big help for me until I fully learn Maya. The tip about finding constrants is another great tip. I will be using these two tips alot in class. Thanks soo much for the respond and great tips on Maya!

Randle

Message 5 of 5
cheetahboi
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thanks Sebastian_Freigang, this was the problem! LIke I  mention above, I feel like an idiot missing something so simple like hidden faces in my model. Thanks so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report